Jul 20, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Normally, it would be rather obvious that a club that just signed all-world striker Edinson Cavani to play with all-world striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is no longer looking to sign another big time striker.
But when it comes to Paris Saint-Germain, we take nothing for granted.
(Such is the effect when you have billions of dollars to spend on world football supremacy.)
So it is therefore newsworthy to note that Les Parisiens will not be buying Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney. That decision was noted by new PSG manager Laurent Blanc when he ruled out making a move for the “angry and confused” striker.
“He is an amazing player, his qualities are well known by everyone,” Blanc explained. “But in attack we are well supplied.”
That’s the understatement of the century.
In addition to Cavani and Ibrahimovic, PSG boasts a plethora of formidable attackers including Jeremy Menez, Javier Pastore, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Kevin Gameiro.
Instead, PSG will continue to throw absurd amounts of money at other players, namely midfielders. “We will rather look for players in midfield,” Blanc continued. “If there should be another reinforcement, it should be in that position.”
But wait. Didn’t Sir Alex Ferguson drop Rooney back into the midfield on more than a few occasions?
Heck yes, he certainly did. And Wazza did quite well.
But Blanc has already thought about that option as well and it doesn’t suit him. “Rooney could play anywhere,” Blanc noted, “but his best position is in the heart of attack.”
Ah yes, the heart of the attack. Ready to step in for Robin van Persie “if for any reason” the Dutchman picks up a knock.
You can find Mike on Twitter @mprindi
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0