Jul 20, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Normally, it would be rather obvious that a club that just signed all-world striker Edinson Cavani to play with all-world striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic is no longer looking to sign another big time striker.
But when it comes to Paris Saint-Germain, we take nothing for granted.
(Such is the effect when you have billions of dollars to spend on world football supremacy.)
So it is therefore newsworthy to note that Les Parisiens will not be buying Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney. That decision was noted by new PSG manager Laurent Blanc when he ruled out making a move for the “angry and confused” striker.
“He is an amazing player, his qualities are well known by everyone,” Blanc explained. “But in attack we are well supplied.”
That’s the understatement of the century.
In addition to Cavani and Ibrahimovic, PSG boasts a plethora of formidable attackers including Jeremy Menez, Javier Pastore, Ezequiel Lavezzi and Kevin Gameiro.
Instead, PSG will continue to throw absurd amounts of money at other players, namely midfielders. “We will rather look for players in midfield,” Blanc continued. “If there should be another reinforcement, it should be in that position.”
But wait. Didn’t Sir Alex Ferguson drop Rooney back into the midfield on more than a few occasions?
Heck yes, he certainly did. And Wazza did quite well.
But Blanc has already thought about that option as well and it doesn’t suit him. “Rooney could play anywhere,” Blanc noted, “but his best position is in the heart of attack.”
Ah yes, the heart of the attack. Ready to step in for Robin van Persie “if for any reason” the Dutchman picks up a knock.
You can find Mike on Twitter @mprindi
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"