Jul 21, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Chelsea chalked up another pre-season victory, defeating Malaysia XI by a score of 4-1.
The Blues had the match well in hand from the opening kick-off. Six minutes in, Kevin De Bruyne tore down the right wing and cut the ball back for trialist Bertrand Traore, who found the back of the net from 12 yards out.
In the 29th minute Chelsea doubled their lead when goal-keeper Mark Schwarzer, who was handed his Chelsea debut, sent a 60 yard free-kick up the pitch that Romelu Lukaku headed on to De Bruyne, who hit a fantastic first time strike into the roof of the net.
Sadly, the Belgian winger’s stellar night was cut short after suffering an ankle injury on the goal.
In the 48th minute the Blues had their third when Traore collected the ball just in front of midfield, turned, and found Lukaku with a neatly threaded through-ball. The Belgian international broke into the right side of the box and took a set-up touch with his right foot before dispersing a left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net.
Amidst the oppressive heat, the second half slowed to a snail’s pace until Victor Moses latched on to a ball played through the right side of the Malaysia XI defense, cut back and fired his right-footed effort into the back of the net.
To their credit, Malaysia worked quite hard throughout the match and their diligence paid off in stoppage time when a free-kick fired into box was not clearly by Petr Cech and Shas headed in from close range.
With the victory in hand the Blues now make their way to Jakarta where they will face the Indonesia All Star XI next Friday.
- MLS Week 1 preview: Sounders vs. Revs, Timbers vs. RSL headline First Kick weekend 0
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 4
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9