Jul 21, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Chelsea chalked up another pre-season victory, defeating Malaysia XI by a score of 4-1.
The Blues had the match well in hand from the opening kick-off. Six minutes in, Kevin De Bruyne tore down the right wing and cut the ball back for trialist Bertrand Traore, who found the back of the net from 12 yards out.
In the 29th minute Chelsea doubled their lead when goal-keeper Mark Schwarzer, who was handed his Chelsea debut, sent a 60 yard free-kick up the pitch that Romelu Lukaku headed on to De Bruyne, who hit a fantastic first time strike into the roof of the net.
Sadly, the Belgian winger’s stellar night was cut short after suffering an ankle injury on the goal.
In the 48th minute the Blues had their third when Traore collected the ball just in front of midfield, turned, and found Lukaku with a neatly threaded through-ball. The Belgian international broke into the right side of the box and took a set-up touch with his right foot before dispersing a left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net.
Amidst the oppressive heat, the second half slowed to a snail’s pace until Victor Moses latched on to a ball played through the right side of the Malaysia XI defense, cut back and fired his right-footed effort into the back of the net.
To their credit, Malaysia worked quite hard throughout the match and their diligence paid off in stoppage time when a free-kick fired into box was not clearly by Petr Cech and Shas headed in from close range.
With the victory in hand the Blues now make their way to Jakarta where they will face the Indonesia All Star XI next Friday.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes