Jul 21, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
French newspaper L’Equipe is reporting that Everton have launched a bid to bring Le Mans defender Mory Kone to Goodison Park.
The bid for the 19 year old center-back is believed to be in the range of $1.3 million (€1m).
Like his namesake Arouna Kone, who signed with Everton for $9.2 million (£6m) earlier this summer, Mory is of Ivorian descent but the two are not related.
Born in Paris, Mory has represented both his birth and ancestral nation at international level. He represented France at the Under 17 and Under 18 levels while he represented Cote d’Ivoire at the 2011 FIFA Under 17 World Cup.
At club level, he spent his youth career at a few different Parisien clubs, including giants Paris Saint-Germain, before moving to Le Mans in 2009. Last fall he was pulled up to the senior squad by manager Denis Zanko and went on to become a fixture in Le Mans back-line, appearing in 27 matches.
If Le Mans accept the bid and the player agrees to terms with Everton, Kone would inject youth into the Toffees center-back ranks that currently boast three players over the age of 30 - Antolin Alcaraz (30), Phil Jagielka (30) and Sylvain Distin (35).
While making a run at a starting position would be a long-shot for Kone, the 6′ 3″ Frenchman could form a formidable future partnership alongside 21 year old center-back Shane Duffy.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League