Jul 21, 2013, 7:47 AM EDT
Cross Jupp Heynckes off the list.
The former Bayern Munich manager has ruled himself out of potential candidates to succeed Tito Vilanova at Barcelona.
Following last year’s incredible treble winning season, Heynckes took a chapter out of Pep Guardiola’s book announcing his intention to take a year off.
Many believed Heynckes was headed for retirement after the story-book ending to the 2012-13 season but the 68 year old never officially retired.
Heynckes, who is fluent in Spanish following spells coaching at Athletic Bilbao (twice), Tenerife and Real Madrid, was immediately recognized as a potential replacement for Vilanova.
And what a story that would have been – the man who broke down Barcelona’s fabled tiki-taka tasked with building it back up. But it’s not to be, as Heynckes acted swiftly in removing his name from further discussions, citing his enjoyment of the simple things in life.
“I’m keeping myself busy with hobbies and sport. I have my animals and a huge garden,” Heynckes told Germany’s Sky Sport News.
The former West Germany international also noted his health as a reason. “I think it would be impossible for me, after working at Bayern Munich, now to take over a new club. I have understood the signals my body has been giving me and I am feeling good, enjoying the time I have for myself.”
With Heynckes now out of the picture, the top candidates favored to succeed Vilanova include Luis Enrique, Gerardo Martino, Frank de Boer, Rubi, Michael Laudrup, Jurgen Klopp, Marcelo Bielsa and Roberto Mancini.
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 0
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 3
- Sporting Club announces plans for $75 million “soccer village” for US Soccer National Training Center 6
- “Embarrassed” in LA, thrilled in Manchester: Reactions to 7-0 beatdown 21
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0