Jul 21, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Napoli have landed another big fish in the summer transfer market.
Today the Serie A club announced the signing of Spain defender Raul Albiol from Real Madrid. Napoli made the announcement through their website, saying: “The 27-year-old Spanish defender arrives from Real Madrid and has signed a four-year contract.”
The player’s transfer fee has not been revealed although Italian media have reported it to be in the range of $15.8 million (€12m).
The move for Albiol is yet another sign of Napoli’s desire to strengthen the squad following strong domestic and Champions League campaigns. Last week the club sold its prized asset, Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, and collected a fee of $84 million (€64m) for his services.
With their pockets laced the club immediately launched into a buying spree purchasing Albiol’s former Real teammate Jose Callejon. Shortly thereafter Napoli secured a loan-deal for Liverpool goal-keeper Pepe Reina after talks on a similar deal for Queens Park Rangers goal-keeper Julio Cesar hit a snag.
With Reina in tow, Partenopei have managed to strengthen their defense by acquiring Albiol, who was limited to 18 appearances for Madrid last season.
Despite a lack of consistent playing time under Jose Mourinho, Albiol has managed to keep his place with the Spanish National Team, where he has secured 40 appearances since 2007.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro