Jul 21, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Napoli have landed another big fish in the summer transfer market.
Today the Serie A club announced the signing of Spain defender Raul Albiol from Real Madrid. Napoli made the announcement through their website, saying: “The 27-year-old Spanish defender arrives from Real Madrid and has signed a four-year contract.”
The player’s transfer fee has not been revealed although Italian media have reported it to be in the range of $15.8 million (€12m).
The move for Albiol is yet another sign of Napoli’s desire to strengthen the squad following strong domestic and Champions League campaigns. Last week the club sold its prized asset, Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, and collected a fee of $84 million (€64m) for his services.
With their pockets laced the club immediately launched into a buying spree purchasing Albiol’s former Real teammate Jose Callejon. Shortly thereafter Napoli secured a loan-deal for Liverpool goal-keeper Pepe Reina after talks on a similar deal for Queens Park Rangers goal-keeper Julio Cesar hit a snag.
With Reina in tow, Partenopei have managed to strengthen their defense by acquiring Albiol, who was limited to 18 appearances for Madrid last season.
Despite a lack of consistent playing time under Jose Mourinho, Albiol has managed to keep his place with the Spanish National Team, where he has secured 40 appearances since 2007.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 1
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0