Tito Vilanova’s full resignation letter – a thank you to Barcelona

Jul 21, 2013, 8:25 AM EST

File photo of Barcelona's coach Tito Vilanova listening to a question during a news conference in Sant Joan Despi Reuters

Sticking with the Tito Vilanova story, the 44 year old has published an open letter to Barcelona’s fans regarding his decision to step down as he undergoes further treatment in his fight against cancer.

The letter reads:

“Thank you Barcelona, thank you everyone.

“After five marvellous years as part of a team that would make any trainer’s dreams come true, the time has come for me to deal with a change in my professional life in order for me to devote my strength and energy to continuing to treat the illness I was diagnosed with 18 months ago.

“In the opinion of the doctors, the treatment I must now follow does not recommend me to devote one hundred per cent of my time to the tasks involved in being in charge of a club with the demands of FC Barcelona. However, I will continue to be close by and I will continue to work with the club I love so much in other sporting areas.

“Leaving a group of such special people is not easy, the players, colleagues and friends that I have shared so many unforgettable experiences with. I will be eternally grateful to them for everything they have given me and what they have shown me. The human and footballing quality of this team is up to any test and I’m convinced that it will face the new sporting challenges, which should be exciting for everyone, with all the ability it possesses.

“I would also like to give special thanks to the president, the board of directors and the sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta, for the confidence they have shown in me and, most importantly, their unconditional support on a sporting and personal level.

“What is equally important to me is the medical and human support I have received from doctor Ramon Canal and his team of doctors at my side. I know I’m not playing this match alone, I’m part of a supportive club that will help me move forward in this long process, exactly as they have done until now.

“I would also like to thank all of you, members and fans of Barca, from the bottom of my heart for the support and affection you have shown, not just now but throughout the past few months. I just want to let you know that I feel calm and strong, and I’m dealing with this new stage in the process of my illness fully confident that everything will be OK.

“Thank you football fans, colleagues in the profession, clubs, sportsmen and women, the people I know, and people I don’t, for all your messages of support that have comforted both me and my family.

“These are difficult times for those close to me, which is why I have asked the media for respect and understanding. Now that I am no longer the trainer of Barcelona I hope to be able to have the peace and privacy that my family and I require at this moment in time.

“I did not want to finish this letter without wishing luck and every success to the new trainer of the best team in the world.

“Thank you everyone.

“Tito Vilanova.”

Latest Posts
  1. Asian Cup final preview: Can Australian hosts deny South Korea’s first title since 1960?

Jan 30, 2015, 1:06 PM EST

FBL-ASIA2015-AUS-KOR Getty Images

The Socceroos have received a single goal from nine other players in a bid to become the first hosts to win the Asian Cup since Japan in 1992.

2. Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots

Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks about his love for the Pats, growing up in Boston and more in his latest dispatch from England.

3. VIDEO: PST Extra – Costa’s suspension, and how will Frank Lampard be received at Stamford Bridge?

Jan 30, 2015, 12:22 PM EST

Lampard Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville sit down to talk Lampard vs. Chelsea in this week’s PST Extra, with a little Diego Costa suspension talk as well.

4. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win

Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EST

Pablo Zabaleta Pablo Zabaleta

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the winners and losers in Week 23.

5. Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City

Jan 30, 2015, 11:40 AM EST

Chelsea v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

There are big ones, and there are bigger ones… and this one’s a doozy.

6. Manchester United signs youngster from Scholes-, Giggs-owned semipro side

Jan 30, 2015, 10:54 AM EST

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/

There’s quite a bit of saccharine in this perfect PR story, but it’s a cool tale nonetheless.

7. San Francisco 49ers brass announced as investors in Sacramento Republic

Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST

sacbee.com sacbee.com

“We have more 49ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than we do in San Francisco,” the 49ers CEO said

8. Man City’s Pellegrini hopes stamping ban will change “top player” Costa

Jan 30, 2015, 9:33 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST HAM-MAN CITY Getty Images

The Manchester City manager made the comments during the pre-Chelsea press conference on Friday.

9. Louis van Gaal: No Carrick for month, no new signings, Fletcher is at West Ham

Jan 30, 2015, 8:48 AM EST

Limited but talented, Michael Carrick's virtues are the subject of a constant debate around Manchester United's midfield. The England international, however, is less of a problem than the players who have been chosen to play around him. (Photo: Getty Images) Getty Images

Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils host Leicester City at 10am ET on Saturday.

10. Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more

Jan 30, 2015, 7:46 AM EST

Costa to miss out vs. Palace? Getty Images

This further limits Jose Mourinho’s options for Saturday’s match, and will also keep Costa from a trip to Aston Villa and a visit from Everton.

11. Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season

Jan 30, 2015, 7:35 AM EST

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Much like their signing and loaning back of Divock Origi at Lille this summer, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers makes an investment in the future.

12. Report: Dani Osvaldo elects for Juventus return, making early Giovinvo exit possible

Jan 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EST

Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan Dani Osvaldo, Inter Milan

Osvaldo-to-Juventus could mean Giovinco-to-Toronto happens six months early.

13. David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

David Beckham David Beckham

The latest update from Beckham on building a stadium, bringing an MLS team to Miami.

14. DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution

Jan 29, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Mattia Destro, AS Roma Mattia Destro, AS Roma

What went down on Thursday, the 29th day of this January transfer window? A full recap, inside.

15. Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS

Jan 29, 2015, 5:36 PM EST

Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht Juan Agudelo, FC Utrecht

Agudelo is back in MLS, where he probably should have been all along.

16. Russia to cut budget for 2018 World Cup, as economy continues to struggle

Jan 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EST

FIFA FIFA

Putin and Russia have already had to cut costs for the 2018 World Cup.

17. Alexis Sanchez an injury concern for Arsenal

Jan 29, 2015, 2:43 PM EST

Arsenal v Southampton - Premier League

Arsenal’s main man is touch and go for this weekend’s game against Aston Villa.

18. Daniel Sturridge could return from injury for Liverpool this weekend against West Ham

Jan 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Liverpool FC Training Session Liverpool FC Training Session

Liverpool’s leading striker could return to action this Saturday after five months out.

Chelsea v Man City: Lampard the hero?