Tito Vilanova’s full resignation letter – a thank you to Barcelona

Jul 21, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT

File photo of Barcelona's coach Tito Vilanova listening to a question during a news conference in Sant Joan Despi Reuters

Sticking with the Tito Vilanova story, the 44 year old has published an open letter to Barcelona’s fans regarding his decision to step down as he undergoes further treatment in his fight against cancer.

The letter reads:

“Thank you Barcelona, thank you everyone.

“After five marvellous years as part of a team that would make any trainer’s dreams come true, the time has come for me to deal with a change in my professional life in order for me to devote my strength and energy to continuing to treat the illness I was diagnosed with 18 months ago.

“In the opinion of the doctors, the treatment I must now follow does not recommend me to devote one hundred per cent of my time to the tasks involved in being in charge of a club with the demands of FC Barcelona. However, I will continue to be close by and I will continue to work with the club I love so much in other sporting areas.

“Leaving a group of such special people is not easy, the players, colleagues and friends that I have shared so many unforgettable experiences with. I will be eternally grateful to them for everything they have given me and what they have shown me. The human and footballing quality of this team is up to any test and I’m convinced that it will face the new sporting challenges, which should be exciting for everyone, with all the ability it possesses.

“I would also like to give special thanks to the president, the board of directors and the sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta, for the confidence they have shown in me and, most importantly, their unconditional support on a sporting and personal level.

“What is equally important to me is the medical and human support I have received from doctor Ramon Canal and his team of doctors at my side. I know I’m not playing this match alone, I’m part of a supportive club that will help me move forward in this long process, exactly as they have done until now.

“I would also like to thank all of you, members and fans of Barca, from the bottom of my heart for the support and affection you have shown, not just now but throughout the past few months. I just want to let you know that I feel calm and strong, and I’m dealing with this new stage in the process of my illness fully confident that everything will be OK.

“Thank you football fans, colleagues in the profession, clubs, sportsmen and women, the people I know, and people I don’t, for all your messages of support that have comforted both me and my family.

“These are difficult times for those close to me, which is why I have asked the media for respect and understanding. Now that I am no longer the trainer of Barcelona I hope to be able to have the peace and privacy that my family and I require at this moment in time.

“I did not want to finish this letter without wishing luck and every success to the new trainer of the best team in the world.

“Thank you everyone.

“Tito Vilanova.”

Latest Posts
  1. Agent: Rafa Bentiez “would be truly happy” to manage Real Madrid

May 22, 2015, 12:02 AM EDT

Rafael Benitez, SSC Napoli Rafael Benitez, SSC Napoli

Firing one of the world’s elite managers, so you can hire a good-but-not-great replacement? Not smart, Real Madrid, not smart at all.

2. Scholes: If De Gea leaves, Manchester United should sign Petr Cech

May 21, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT

Petr Cech, Chelsea FC Petr Cech, Chelsea FC

According to Scholes, the solution to Man United’s goalkeeping problem is a no-brainer.

3. Emmanuel Adebayor given compassionate leave after revealing suicidal thoughts

May 21, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT

Emmanuel Adebayor, Tottenham Hotspur FC Emmanuel Adebayor, Tottenham Hotspur FC

Well done to Tottenham Hotspur for showing the necessary compassion and taking care of one of their own.

4. US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes

May 21, 2015, 8:24 PM EDT

US Open Cup trophy Getty Images

The draw for the 4th round of the 2015 US Open Cup tossed up a couple of absolute doozies on Thursday night.

5. Hodgson: England very happy to take Jack Grealish from Ireland, if he so chooses

May 21, 2015, 7:23 PM EDT

Jack Grealish, Aston Villa FC Jack Grealish, Aston Villa FC

Jack Grealish has a big decision to make in the not-so-distant future, and it’s going to affect the course of the rest of his career.

6. War of words: Henry, Giroud trading jabs over Thierry’s “dull” punditry comments

May 21, 2015, 5:29 PM EDT

Olivier Giroud, Arsenal FC Olivier Giroud, Arsenal FC

Thierry Henry is riding Olivier Giroud very hard these days, claiming Arsenal will never win a PL title with him leading the line.

7. Poland federation president calls for Russia to be stripped of 2018 World Cup

May 21, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

ZbigniewBoniek Getty Images

Qatar isn’t the only World Cup host to make others upset.

8. Trio of corporate sponsors denounce FIFA for migrant worker conditions in Qatar

May 21, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT

FIFA World Cup trophy Getty Images

Sponsors hold the one true key to change in Qatar, and strong words are a start.

9. Final day looming in Spain, France to decide Champions League places

May 21, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT

Gignac Getty Images

Many European leagues have spots in the big dance still up for grabs.

10. Young Liverpool pair signs new contract extensions

May 21, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Ibe Getty Images

Jordon Ibe and Jon Flanagan both will stick around Anfield for a while longer.

11. Hours after Van Praag drops out of FIFA presidential race, Figo does the same

May 21, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT

LuisFigo Getty Images

Only one candidate remains to battle Sepp Blatter, and it doesn’t look good.

12. One candidate drops out as Blatter’s re-election looks more and more certain

May 21, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

RAMALLAH, WEST BANK - MAY 20: FIFA President Sepp Blatter delivers a speech during an opening ceremony of a football stadium in Dura el Qar village, West Bank city of Ramallah, on May 20, 2015. (Photo by Issam Rimawi/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images) Getty Images

The man who’s been investigated by the FBI and green lit loads of allegedly corrupt ideas will continue to rule your favorite sport.

13. Xavi’s tearful goodbye: Legend confirms move to Al Saad, ending Barca run at 17 years

May 21, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT

150521-xavi-ARTICLE Getty Images

The announcement is the final touch of a poorly-kept secret, and comes with the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League on the horizon.

14. Vancouver joins Montreal in Canadian final; CONCACAF Champions League berth decided in August

May 21, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT

Matias Laba, Benoit Cheyrou AP

The Impact will be looking for their third-straight Canadian Championship, having defeated TFC and Vancouver in recent campaigns.

15. Agent: Sterling wouldn’t sign new Liverpool deal, even for $1.4 million a week

May 21, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT

(THE SUN OUT, THE SUN ON SUNDAY OUT)  of Liverpool during the Liverpool Player of the Year Awards on May 19, 2015 in Liverpool, England. Getty Images

Ward said every club in the Premier League would bid for Sterling (who has already reportedly turned down an offer worth $235,000 a week).

16. Leicester, QPR, Burnley players earn England call-ups for June matches

May 21, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Austin Getty Images

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling make it a trio of Manchester United players on the roster, while Arsenal paces all Premier League squads with four call-ups.

17. US Open Cup second round wrap: Several USL sides clipped by “minnows”

May 21, 2015, 7:46 AM EDT

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/ http://www.rhinossoccer.com/

There’s a guarantee that a fourth-tier side or lower will see the fourth round, thanks to a pair of surprise wins.

18. Mats Hummels rejects Manchester United move, will stay at Dortmund

May 20, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT

FBL-GER-BUNDESLIGA-WOLFSBURG-DORTMUND FBL-GER-BUNDESLIGA-WOLFSBURG-DORTMUND

Borussia Dortmund’s sporting director has said the prized defender will stay in Germany next season.

19. MLS Snapshot: Sporting Kansas City 4-2 New England Revolution

May 20, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT

Sporting Kansas City v Houston Dynamo Getty Images

A brace from Krisztian Nemeth led Sporting KC to an impressive win over a Revolution side that will leave Kansas City disappointed.

20. Newcastle fans staging sit-in protest at St. James’ Park following final match of season

May 20, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Leicester City v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

With the Magpies in danger of relegation, supporters want owner Mike Ashley to sell the club.

Championship Sunday: 10 games, 10 channels