Tito Vilanova’s full resignation letter – a thank you to Barcelona

Jul 21, 2013, 8:25 AM EDT

File photo of Barcelona's coach Tito Vilanova listening to a question during a news conference in Sant Joan Despi Reuters

Sticking with the Tito Vilanova story, the 44 year old has published an open letter to Barcelona’s fans regarding his decision to step down as he undergoes further treatment in his fight against cancer.

The letter reads:

“Thank you Barcelona, thank you everyone.

“After five marvellous years as part of a team that would make any trainer’s dreams come true, the time has come for me to deal with a change in my professional life in order for me to devote my strength and energy to continuing to treat the illness I was diagnosed with 18 months ago.

“In the opinion of the doctors, the treatment I must now follow does not recommend me to devote one hundred per cent of my time to the tasks involved in being in charge of a club with the demands of FC Barcelona. However, I will continue to be close by and I will continue to work with the club I love so much in other sporting areas.

“Leaving a group of such special people is not easy, the players, colleagues and friends that I have shared so many unforgettable experiences with. I will be eternally grateful to them for everything they have given me and what they have shown me. The human and footballing quality of this team is up to any test and I’m convinced that it will face the new sporting challenges, which should be exciting for everyone, with all the ability it possesses.

“I would also like to give special thanks to the president, the board of directors and the sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta, for the confidence they have shown in me and, most importantly, their unconditional support on a sporting and personal level.

“What is equally important to me is the medical and human support I have received from doctor Ramon Canal and his team of doctors at my side. I know I’m not playing this match alone, I’m part of a supportive club that will help me move forward in this long process, exactly as they have done until now.

“I would also like to thank all of you, members and fans of Barca, from the bottom of my heart for the support and affection you have shown, not just now but throughout the past few months. I just want to let you know that I feel calm and strong, and I’m dealing with this new stage in the process of my illness fully confident that everything will be OK.

“Thank you football fans, colleagues in the profession, clubs, sportsmen and women, the people I know, and people I don’t, for all your messages of support that have comforted both me and my family.

“These are difficult times for those close to me, which is why I have asked the media for respect and understanding. Now that I am no longer the trainer of Barcelona I hope to be able to have the peace and privacy that my family and I require at this moment in time.

“I did not want to finish this letter without wishing luck and every success to the new trainer of the best team in the world.

“Thank you everyone.

“Tito Vilanova.”

Latest Posts
  1. USMNT player ratings: Johnson, Bradley, Dempsey diamonds in a rough, ugly win

Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT

Team USA's Clint Dempsey (R) tries to get a loose ball from Honduras' Bryan Acosta (6) during the first half of a CONCACAF Gold Cup soccer match on Tuesday, July 7, 2015, at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas. (Steve Nurenberg/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS via Getty Images) Getty Images

We highly doubt any U.S. fans were impressed by more than 2-3 players in Tuesday’s Gold Cup opener, and that’s okay.

2. 2015 Gold Cup: Three things we learned from the USA’s 2-1 victory over Honduras

Jul 7, 2015, 11:41 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Clint Dempsey #8 of USA celebrates after scoring against Honduras during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between USA and Honduras at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

From Alvarado to Zardes with Najar in between, Andy Edwards tells you what he saw in Frisco.

3. USMNT 2-1 Honduras: Dempsey brace enough for sloppy Yanks

Jul 7, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Clint Dempsey #8 of USA scores against Honduras during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between USA and Honduras at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Next up in Group A is a Friday doubleheader in Foxborough, with Panama and Honduras opening the evening for the U.S. and Haiti.

4. From London to Lisbon: Costa Rica’s Bryan Ruiz has a new club

Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

CANTON DE BELEN, COSTA RICA - JUNE 01:  Bryan Ruiz of Costa Rica holds the ball during Costa Rica training session ahead the beginning of Gold Cup 2015 at FEDEFUTBOL-Plycem Training Centre on June 01, 2015 in Canton de Belen, Costa Rica. (Photo by Arnoldo Robert/LatinContent/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ruiz will join a potent attack with Islam Slimani and Fredy Montero.

5. LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event

Jul 7, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT

Atlanta United

The idea of gold playing a big role is nice, although only the red separate this look from the Philadelphia Union.

6. Panama 1-1 Haiti: Nazon’s dizzying move helps Les Grenadiers to surprising draw (video)

Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT

FRISCO, TX - JULY 07:  Blas Perez #7 of Panama controls the ball against Jerome Mechack #3 of Haiti during the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup Group A match between Panama and Haiti at Toyota Stadium on July 7, 2015 in Frisco, Texas.  (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Duckens Moses Nazon, take a bow: Your 86th minute goal helped start the 2015 Gold Cup in style.

7. FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups)

Jul 7, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT

@USSoccer @USSoccer

Michael Bradley assumes the captain’s armband from Clint Dempsey and will earn cap No. 100 for his career in the Gold Cup.

8. CONCACAF ends corporate partnership with FIFA scandal-embattled Traffic Sports USA

Jul 7, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

concacaf

It’s certainly one of those press releases that makes you think, “Well, I had just assumed that happened, but thanks for confirming.”

9. WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House

Jul 7, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT

Obama USWNT

All this on the heels of the USWNT announced as the first female team to received a ticker tape parade down New York City’s Canyon of Heroes.

10. Galaxy’s Gerrard meets the media: “Very impressed with the standard” of MLS

Jul 7, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

CARSON, CA - JULY 7: New Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Steven Gerrard #8 poses with his jersey after a news conference on July 7, 2015 at StubHub Center in Carson, California. The former Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is scheduled to play his first MLS match on Friday, July 17 at StubHub Center against San Jose Earthquakes. (Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images) Getty Images

You get the feeling it’s impossible not to be motivated when Steven Gerrard is your teammate. Now toss in Robbie Keane.

11. USWNT to become first females in 55 years to get ticker tape parade down NYC’s Canyon of Heroes

Jul 7, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT

USA v Germany: Semi Final - FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 USA v Germany: Semi Final - FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

The last female to receive a ticker tape parade down that route was 1960 Olympic figure skating gold medalist Carol Heiss Jenkins.

12. Three reasons Canada could surprise Group B (and beyond) at Gold Cup

Jul 7, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT

TORONTO, ON- JUNE 16  -   Tesho Akindele battles for a ball with Chad Bertrand as Team Canada plays Dominica in the second leg of World Cup qualifying   at BMO Field in Toronto.  June 16, 2015.        (Steve Russell/Toronto Star via Getty Images) Getty Images

Their “no-name” defense hasn’t allowed a goal in four matches, and Canada could surprise you this month.

13. United States midfielder Lauren Holiday announces plans to retire with Women’s World Cup title in hand

Jul 7, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT

VANCOUVER, BC - JULY 05:   Lauren Holiday #12 of the United States celebrates as she scores her first goal in the first half against Japan  in the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015 Final at BC Place Stadium on July 5, 2015 in Vancouver, Canada.  (Photo by Jeff Vinnick/Getty Images) Getty Images

Lauren Holiday, 27, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.

14. Lampard talks club, challenge, Gerrard: “For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was” (video)

Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

“For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was,” Lampard said. “I play football to win.”

15. 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks…

Jul 7, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Championship - 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup Getty Images

PST’s staff predict how the Gold Cup will play out as the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica clash to become CONCACAF champs.

16. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Forwards

Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT

England v USA: Group C - 2010 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Altidore and Dempsey will lead the attack. But who else is in reserve?

17. Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals?

Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT

Is he in the top five of superstars to join North America’s top-flight since the DP rule was introduced?

18. 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders

Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT

Mix Diskerud, USMNT Mix Diskerud, USMNT

Will Yedlin start on the right? Have Bradley and Mix got the center locked down?

19. Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras

Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Michael Bradley, USMNT Getty Images

A man who’ll go down as one of the USMNT’s all-time greats hits 100 caps tonight. A few thoughts on Il Generale.

20. Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1

Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT

Honduras v United States Getty Images

Day 1 of the 2015 Gold Cup is here, as the U.S. starts its title defense with a showdown in Texas.

PST Extra: Done deals & transfer gossip