Jul 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Tottenham have agreed to terms with FC Twente over the transfer of Belgian winger Nacer Chadli.
Spurs announced the agreement by issuing a statement that said:
We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with FC Twente for the transfer of Nacer Chadli. Subject to personal terms and medical, the Belgian international winger will join up with the squad for pre-season training in Hong Kong.
Twente is believed to be receiving a $10.7 million (£7m) transfer fee for the winger’s services. The deal will be complete after the player agrees to personal terms (which sources claim will be a five year deal) and undergoes the routine medical exam.
Without blowing up his spot too much, Chadli is a similar player to Cristiano Ronaldo. With bags of pace and trickery, Chadli prefers to play on the left wing where he enjoys cutting through the middle to hit shots with his fantastic right foot. He’s also an adept crosser of the ball, although his left foot has been known to let him down.
Like Ronaldo, Chadli is a physical specimen, with great strength and height (6’2″) that he utilizes well to ward off challenges and push defenders off the ball. Perhaps not as much of a one man show as Ronaldo, Chadli looks to link up with his fellow attackers in bids to get slipped through on goal.
In front of the net, Chadli possesses strong composure and has excellent finishing ability that last season led to 12 goals in 17 Eredivisie matches and 6 goals in nine Europa League contests.
In short, Chadli represents a major coup for Spurs at a fantastic price. The 25 year old has all the attributes to make an immediate impact at White Hart Lane and should be the impetus that sees Gareth Bale take up a permanent position as the club’s number 10.
The Belgian international is expected to join up with fellow countrymen Moussa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen within the coming week.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"