Jul 21, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
At the 60th minute, this was a one-goal game despite the fact that the U.S. had held over 70 percent of the possession and doubled El Salvador’s shots on goal. Then the dam broke, with a lopsided affair leaving the Salvadorans fortunate to get out of Baltimore with only a 5-1 loss.
We’ve already discussed the game, broken it down, named our heroes and looked into their futures. Now let’s focus on the goals. Here’s a countdown of the tallies that seemed to get easier as the night went on.
5. Mix Diserkud’s header - At 4-1 late in the second half, El Salvador was toast, which is why they provided little opposition to the U.S. playing wide in the area, chipping back toward, and creating a game-icing goal for their young midfielder. Pretty basic stuff.
4. Landon Donovan rips the defense in two - After the game, people were talking about Donovan’s renewed motivation. Who knows if Sunday was different or he just had a good day, but sprinting through the Salvadoran defense, easily weaving around Dagoberto Portillo, Donovan showed a spark while racking up the 54th goal of his international career.
3. Eddie Johnson finds the corner … off a corner - Get a free run up, have nobody go up with you, and you’re supposed to put the ball on frame. That’s what good targets do. Eddie Johnson, however, cushioned an unstoppable ball into the upper-left hand corner from six yards out, restoring the U.S.’s two-goal lead at the hour mark.
2. Clarence Goodson opens the scoring - It was an easy finish after some defensive breakdowns, but bonus points for execution to the U.S. on this one; a rare moment where something seemingly translates from the drawing board and training ground directly onto the pitch. A short corner is played back to Michael Parkhurst, who chips toward the line for Donovan. Donovan cuts back to Goodson, and in the 21st minute, the U.S. have their opener.
1. Joe Corona doubles the U.S.’s lead - The day’s best finish, the goal was also notable for what Landon Donovan did to set it up, putting the defense on their heels before allowing Chris Wondolowski to set up Corona. The Club Tijuana star patiently finds a lane through which to fire the U.S. to a 2-0 lead.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
“He scores when he wants. He scores when he wants. Danny Welbeck, he scores when he wants.”
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
A first-half brace from Danny Welbeck and a third from Alexis Sanchez handed Arsenal some breathing room against Galatasaray.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Arsenal are flying, so too are Leverkusen. Check out all the half time scores, here.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
The Gunners opened the Champions League group stage in disappointing form, losing 2-0 to BVB.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Can the Reds make it two wins from two in the Champions League?
Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Zenit, Monaco remain top of Group C after a dour draw in Saint Petersburg.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
Thierry Henry may be on his way out of New York City as turmoil at the top could drive him out.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
The two sides had some internet fun after yesterday’s 1-1 Champions League draw.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The former president of CONMEBOL told Uruguayan TV that Suarez could return earlier than expected.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
That Wayne Rooney implosion? You’re gonna need Rog and Davo to break it down.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
The US fringe player picked a terrible time to be injured, with the international break on the horizon.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
With Zelalem weaving through defenders on the Arsenal U-19 team, it’s hard not to get antsy about the 17-year-old possibly playing for the United States.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
With their Champions League match in Russia behind closed doors due to a UEFA sanction, fans found a way to watch anyways, and the team rewarded the dedicated supporters.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has pestered the media with information about Costa’s troublesome hamstring all week, but the player himself isn’t listening.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:47 AM EDT
Alan Pardew must deal with yet another off the field issue at St. James Park as reports he’s losing the dressing room don’t look any less true at the moment.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
Are you as tired of Vincent Tan as Cardiff City supporters are?
Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
The German defender was courted by Manchester United and Real Madrid, but says he is at Dortmund for the long-run.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Wednesday features eight Champions League matches, including important matchups for Premier League sides Arsenal and Liverpool.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
The newly signed Bayern midfielder had 204 touches in Munich’s 2-0 win over FC Koln.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Martin Odegaard made his international debut this summer as Norway’s youngest player ever.
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 0
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 3
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0
- So much for bad hamstrings, Costa states he’s ready for Spain selection 0
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1