Jul 21, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
At the 60th minute, this was a one-goal game despite the fact that the U.S. had held over 70 percent of the possession and doubled El Salvador’s shots on goal. Then the dam broke, with a lopsided affair leaving the Salvadorans fortunate to get out of Baltimore with only a 5-1 loss.
We’ve already discussed the game, broken it down, named our heroes and looked into their futures. Now let’s focus on the goals. Here’s a countdown of the tallies that seemed to get easier as the night went on.
5. Mix Diserkud’s header - At 4-1 late in the second half, El Salvador was toast, which is why they provided little opposition to the U.S. playing wide in the area, chipping back toward, and creating a game-icing goal for their young midfielder. Pretty basic stuff.
4. Landon Donovan rips the defense in two - After the game, people were talking about Donovan’s renewed motivation. Who knows if Sunday was different or he just had a good day, but sprinting through the Salvadoran defense, easily weaving around Dagoberto Portillo, Donovan showed a spark while racking up the 54th goal of his international career.
3. Eddie Johnson finds the corner … off a corner - Get a free run up, have nobody go up with you, and you’re supposed to put the ball on frame. That’s what good targets do. Eddie Johnson, however, cushioned an unstoppable ball into the upper-left hand corner from six yards out, restoring the U.S.’s two-goal lead at the hour mark.
2. Clarence Goodson opens the scoring - It was an easy finish after some defensive breakdowns, but bonus points for execution to the U.S. on this one; a rare moment where something seemingly translates from the drawing board and training ground directly onto the pitch. A short corner is played back to Michael Parkhurst, who chips toward the line for Donovan. Donovan cuts back to Goodson, and in the 21st minute, the U.S. have their opener.
1. Joe Corona doubles the U.S.’s lead - The day’s best finish, the goal was also notable for what Landon Donovan did to set it up, putting the defense on their heels before allowing Chris Wondolowski to set up Corona. The Club Tijuana star patiently finds a lane through which to fire the U.S. to a 2-0 lead.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Not one, but two middle fingers to your own fans earns you a red card, sir.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:43 PM EDT
AC Milan + Hello Kitty = the strangest soccer story of the week, right?
Apr 1, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
This is a strange one: footballer admits to thinking about tweet to critic while still game in which he scored.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
A serious knee injury at the business end of the season? Terrible news, though Alaba hopes to return for a pair of cup finals.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
The first of CONCACAF’s five WCQ rounds is complete, and there’s a world-famous name leading one Caribbean minnow into the next round.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The USMNT kicks off its 2015 Gold Cup campaign in 97 days. What’s the roster going to look like? Who’s the surprising “ins” and “outs”?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
April Fools’ Day jokes — everybody’s got them, and while most aren’t funny, a few people came through with good ones today.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
One little magician has been sublime all season. He’s our consensus pick, but who do you choose?
Apr 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Ribery is a big fan of Hazard. Should the Chelsea wing-wizard replace the Frenchman at Bayern?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
PST’s writers select their coach of the year candidate with the end of season awards coming up fast.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Listen to the latest MiB podcast, here.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:58 PM EDT
We select our Young Player of the season. Do you agree with the consensus selection?
Apr 1, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Sterling has spoken out about his current contract situation. It’s fascinating stuff.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
PST’s writers pick their team of the season, so far… Agree? Disagree?
Apr 1, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
Which players did themselves the world of good in March for the U.S.? Here’s a gander.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Chairman of Bayern Munich, ECA, believes Blatter is ready to change his ways.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Spurs winger scores stunner to silence doubters. Now, can he keep it up?
Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors involving Premier League clubs.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
As bizarre as this is to read, Michael Bradley didn’t register a single helper for the States until 2011. In the Klinsmann era, he has 12.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 1
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3