Jul 22, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Ian Holloway is about to become a happy man.
The Crystal Palace manager, who last week lamented the rigors of the transfer market, is close to signing former West Ham striker Carlton Cole to a one year contract.
Cole will head to Palace on a free transfer after his contract with the Hammers ran out earlier this summer. The 29 year old is set to undergo a medical at Selhurst Park on Wednesday.
Cole could be the answer to the prayers of Palace manager Ian Holloway, who recently rued, “I am finding out how even more difficult it is compared to last time because of the zillions of extra quid that everybody’s got. Everybody’s asking for all sorts of things and it is almost ridiculous to get a deal done.”
Getting the deal done for Cole should relieve some of Holloway’s tension, as the striker adds Premier League experience and a nose for goal, having scored 47 goals in 227 appearances for the Hammers. Cole had been linked with a number of English sides, including West Brom and Hull City, as well as Turkish side Besiktas.
Cole’s biggest competition for the starting role at Palace will be with Glenn Murray. The Englishman wrote himself into club history last season becoming only the 7th player to score 30 goals in a season. Murray’s season ended in devastation, however, when he ruptured his cruciate knee ligament in the play-off semi-final first leg against Brighton.
Murray’s injury provides Cole with the opportunity to make an immediate impact at the South London club, but he’ll also face competition from the ageless Kevin Phillips, who Holloway signed to a one year deal last week, as well as Stephen Dobbie and Aaron Wilbraham.
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 0
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Liverpool 0
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 1