Jul 23, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
What a summer this is turning into for once-and-again U.S national team golden boy game-changer Landon Donovan.
He’s scoring goals, arranging more of them for appreciative teammates, making general mayhem for Gold Cup opposition … and showing some personality along the way, too!
It’s not like Donovan has been some shrinking violet in terms of public persona; he’s been the absolute face of U.S. Soccer for more than a decade, generally willing to participate in media sessions, ad and marketing campaigns, public service announcements, etc.
But the Galaxy and national team all-time leading scorer generally handles his public business with a business-like delivery. He’s a serious sort, almost a bit brooding, even. That may sound a bit like a criticism, but it really isn’t. After all, the guy has always been squeaky clean, and isn’t that saying a lot in a time when guys named Armstrong, Braun, Rodriguez and Hernandez are doing everything they can prove what kind of detestable figures big-time athletes can be?
In other words, if Donovan leans a bit to the serious side, that doesn’t even rate as misdemeanor in the court of public opinion.
So it’s nice to see Donovan folding a bit more “personality” into his personal mix, demonstrating a bit of a playful side. We haven’t seen much of that since the very young and blindingly blonde Donovan tore off his shirt to reveal a sports bra a dozen years ago in a famous MLS All-Star shenanigan.
Yes, he did that. There is photographic evidence and everything right here.
Sunday, I personally enjoyed the “Shawshank-Andy Dufresne” goal celebration. (If you don’t get the reference, ask any male over 30, who has seen that movie at least 15 times, I guarantee.)
LA Galaxy blogger Adam Serrano seemed to prefer Donovan’s playful sideline bit with the projectile sunglasses thrown toward him in Baltimore. The referee’s assistant, however, clearly did not find as much humor in the moment.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes