Jul 23, 2013, 7:23 AM EST
Arsenal are close to signing Brazilian star Bernard for $30 million, as the 20-year-old winger is reportedly having a medical in London on Friday. The Atletico Mineiro attacker is one of Brazil’s brightest young talents and following some brief yet promising appearances at the Confederations Cup earlier this summer, Bernard’s attacking nature would fit in well at the Emirates. A diminutive winger who can also play through the middle, Bernard has great close control and loves to pass the ball. Think of a slightly more attack minded Cesc Fabregas and you’ve hit the nail on the head. At the age of 17 he was playing regularly in Brazil and has improved every season. Could we soon see the tiny Brazilian magician work wonders for Arsene Wenger?
Nani is apparently in talks with AS Monaco over a $15 million move to the Ligue 1 new boys. The Portuguese winger has fallen way down the pecking order at Old Trafford and Nani is keen to play regularly before the 2014 World Cup. At 26 he’s coming into the prime of his career, but the winger has failed to live up to expectations at United. Dubbed as the “new Cristiano Ronaldo” when he arrived from Sporting Lisbon in 2007, Nani has shown his brilliance in brief flashes. But with Wilfried Zaha and others preferred by David Moyes, now is the right time to leave. Nani’s pace and direct style will suit French soccer and if he does leave, United’s fans will be left wondering what could’ve been.
Tottenham Hotspur could look to bolster their attack further, as they chase Lyon forward Lisandro Lopez after failing to sign the 30-year-old back in January. Lopez only has one year left on his Lyon deal and has requested a move this summer, so the French side will look to cash in while they can before the Argentine striker leaves for nothing. Lopez can play up front or on the wings and has scored 82 goals in 166 games since joining Lyon from FC Porto in 2009. With quick feet and an eye for goal, Andre Villas-Boas would get a top player at a knock down price. What’s not to like about this deal?
Liverpool have made a move to sign Valencia left back Aly Cissokho initially on loan with a view to a permanent deal. The French international joined from Lyon but with Valencia in financial turmoil, they’re looking to offload valuable talent and the defender could cost just $6 million in total. But would Cissokho demand a starting spot at Anfield? I’m not sure. Jose Enrique has been solid yet unspectacular since his switch from Newcastle, and maybe Brendan Rodgers wants a bit more athleticism from his full backs. 25-year-old Cissokho would certainly provide that.
Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones could leave the Britannia Stadium after returning from the Gold Cup with Trinidad and Tobago. Jones, 28, has scored goals wherever he has played but has fallen behind Peter Crouch and others with the Potters. With West Brom looking to replace Romelu Lukaku, this could be a very shrewd move from Steve Clarke. Jones knows the league, is strong, quick and powerful and can play the lone forward role superbly well. They could probably get him for less than $8 million too, which would be a steal.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy