Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann surprised with three changes to his starting lineup for tonight’s semifinals, and the results speak for themselves. While it wasn’t their most lopsided scoreline of the tournament, it was the U.S.’s best performance, their 3-1 win over Honduras vaulting them into a fifth-straight Gold Cup final.
How much did those changes (or, in one case, lack of a change) influence tonight’s match? It depends on which switch you’re looking at.
So let’s look at them all:
1. Eddie Johnson starts for Chris Wondolowski – Through the first 45 minutes, you could make an argument Johnson was the team’s most influential player. I wouldn’t necessarily agree with you (that Landon guy significantly deviated from the mean), but I’d recognize you had a really strong claim. Either way, Johnson provided further context to the “Wondo” debate that was sparked in group play.
2. Alejandro Beyoda starts for Joe Corona – Opinion seemed split on Bedoya. I am firmly in the “meh” camp. Others thought he was fine. But “fine” wasn’t going to make anybody forget Joe Corona, even if Bedoya played a necessary role on the third goal.
3. Stuart Holden starts for Mikkel Diskerud – Holden may not have had as much impact going forward, but he was very solid in the middle. His natural tendencies saw him dropping deeper than the more attack-minded Diskerud, meaning his impact we different, not necessarily less. Against a poor Honduras team, having Diskerud on may have led to a more lopsided score, but the U.S. didn’t come close to needing a buffer. And Mix got a little rest for Sunday.
4. Omar Gonzalez doesn’t start for Clarence Goodson – Given the extent to which the U.S. defense has been tested in the first four rounds, the U.S. might as well let `Lexi and Cello dust off the boots and get 90 minutes. Still, just as Oguchi Onyewu was judged harshly for Cuba’s goal, we have to ask how Goodson loses the battle and allowed Honduras’s goal. Hey, it happens to the best of them, but when it does, sometimes you get to ask Why wasn’t Omar playing?
Jul 22, 2014, 11:34 PM EDT
Business up front. Defense in the rear.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
L.A. Galaxy Insider report also speculates that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez could take a Designated Player spot in Major League Soccer if he leaves Old Trafford.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
“It’s obviously a shame he’s not here, but Liverpool is a club that’s bigger as any individual,” Rodgers said from Fenway Park.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Inter Milan and Queens Park Rangers have swooped in for two of the Bluebirds’ best players, and Vincent Tan probably isn’t too happy.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Shaw speaks to PST: “Manchester United are the biggest club in the world. I didn’t think twice when they wanted to sign me.”
Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
When a guy many consider a footballing genius gives the United States coach praise, that’s a pretty cool feather in Klinsmann’s cap.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Premier Leaguers in the U.S. on Tuesday = A day of open training sessions, autographs, football helmets and golf clubs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The 19-year-old is a promising prospect, but is dealing with negative headlines after being subject to abuse on Tuesday in Croatia.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Fraser Forster will be sticking at Celtic, for now, after Southampton reportedly lowballed the Scottish powers.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hand on shoulder, hair-coiffed, warm smile… next! Becks makes the rounds on the United’s U.S. tour.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
There have been reports of where the 32-year-old American left sider will not be going, but little as to where he will.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
For every “stars… they’re just like us” moment a player gives you, there are moments like this, which will not happen to 99.9999% of us at work in our lives
Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Xavi set to remain at Barcelona until January, at least.
Jul 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Yeah. This is actually happened… as Stoke pull off a major coup.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
Guardiola: “He trains well, he’s a good guy and my first idea is that he’s going to stay for the rest of the season.”
Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Will Lovren become the third Saints player to join Liverpool this summer? If the price is right, it sure looks that way.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Where will Rodriguez line up next season for Real? Here’s an in-depth look at the options.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Second time around, Dunga will lead Brazil’s new era.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
What do you get for $107 million in today’s world? A red-hot 23-year-old Colombian striker, that’s what.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Klopp says Hummels is not for sale… not at the price reported anyway.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 0
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 2
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3