Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann surprised with three changes to his starting lineup for tonight’s semifinals, and the results speak for themselves. While it wasn’t their most lopsided scoreline of the tournament, it was the U.S.’s best performance, their 3-1 win over Honduras vaulting them into a fifth-straight Gold Cup final.
How much did those changes (or, in one case, lack of a change) influence tonight’s match? It depends on which switch you’re looking at.
So let’s look at them all:
1. Eddie Johnson starts for Chris Wondolowski – Through the first 45 minutes, you could make an argument Johnson was the team’s most influential player. I wouldn’t necessarily agree with you (that Landon guy significantly deviated from the mean), but I’d recognize you had a really strong claim. Either way, Johnson provided further context to the “Wondo” debate that was sparked in group play.
2. Alejandro Beyoda starts for Joe Corona – Opinion seemed split on Bedoya. I am firmly in the “meh” camp. Others thought he was fine. But “fine” wasn’t going to make anybody forget Joe Corona, even if Bedoya played a necessary role on the third goal.
3. Stuart Holden starts for Mikkel Diskerud – Holden may not have had as much impact going forward, but he was very solid in the middle. His natural tendencies saw him dropping deeper than the more attack-minded Diskerud, meaning his impact we different, not necessarily less. Against a poor Honduras team, having Diskerud on may have led to a more lopsided score, but the U.S. didn’t come close to needing a buffer. And Mix got a little rest for Sunday.
4. Omar Gonzalez doesn’t start for Clarence Goodson – Given the extent to which the U.S. defense has been tested in the first four rounds, the U.S. might as well let `Lexi and Cello dust off the boots and get 90 minutes. Still, just as Oguchi Onyewu was judged harshly for Cuba’s goal, we have to ask how Goodson loses the battle and allowed Honduras’s goal. Hey, it happens to the best of them, but when it does, sometimes you get to ask Why wasn’t Omar playing?
Sep 20, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Both clubs go in search of their first win of the season. Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Can the Gunners grab their first win since the opening day of the season? Will Villa stay unbeaten? Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bafetimbi Gomis has been relegated to the bench for the hosts, while Shane Long gets the start up-top with Graziano Pelle for the Saints.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Kranjcar’s curler saves the day for Rangers, as Stoke are thwarted.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
Tigers midfielder David Meyler, recipient of a Pardew head butt last season, will start on the bench.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Mourinho: “Are the fines fair? I don’t think so. What is fair is to remove points and titles.”
Sep 20, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
LVG lays down the law ahead of United’s trip to Leicester on Sunday.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:27 AM EDT
Can QPR bounce back from last weeks drubbing and beat the Potters? Watch live, right here.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
How and where to watch every single PL game live online or via the app.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
Real Salt Lake demolished the Colorado Rapids, 5-1, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Five consecutive goals have Real Salt Lake ahead of the Colorado Rapids tonight, 5-1.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Preview of West Ham v. Liverpool match on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Watch Real Salt Lake encounter the Colorado Rapids live on NBCSN or NBC Sports Live Extra at 10:00 p.m. ET tonight.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Preview of Aston Villa vs. Arsenal match on NBCSN at 10:00 a.m. ET this Saturday.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho hold different rationales about midfielder Frank Lampard’s Stamford Bridge exit this year.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
UEFA president Michel Platini doesn’t wish to give into FIFA’s pressure to return a watch gifted to him at the World Cup.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Seattle Sounders FC have signed Nigerian defender Onyekachi Apam.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Financial figures for Arsenal released by club today.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Coritiba striker Joel brought out a one-of-a-kind goal celebration vs. Sao Paolo.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has sung the praises of former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who the forward believed was instrumental in getting himself exposure in Europe.
- Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Stoke City: Kranjcar’s cracker saves QPR 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 5 0
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1