Jul 24, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
ARLINGTON, Texas – Landon Donovan has been a real pebble in the Honduran cleat lately.
I suppose we could say that about pretty much any team in the region, given the U.S. attacker’s long history of scoring goals and arranging them with a fierce consistency over a dozen years of international success. Just ask Mexico.
But the United States’ all-time leading scorer has supplied some especially important strikes against Honduras, which happens to be the opponent for Wednesday’s Gold Cup semifinal outside of Dallas.
Donovan had two critical against the Catrachos during qualifying for the last World Cup – no small feat considering Honduras, skillful, well-organized and highly motivated, eventually made its way to South Africa 2010.
Back in the summer of 2009, his penalty kick was the equalizer after the United States had fallen behind in a game the Americans could scarcely afford to lose. (The win helped Bob Bradley’s team reach the mid-point of final round qualifying with a 3-1-1 record.)
Later, Carlos Bocanegra finished off a Donovan corner kick for the second-half game-winner at Soldier Field.
Later that year in the cauldron of San Pedro Sula, a second half free kick from the program’s all-time leading scorer was the game-winner in a 3-2 U.S. win. (Trivia from that evening: Conor Casey scored the first two goals of his brief international career. If you had “Conor Casey for two goals” ahead of that one, please meet me in Las Vegas ahead of the next big game.)
- Aron Johannsson scores yet again! Can he match Jozy Altidore’s record for U.S. goal scorers abroad? 2
- Premier League Roundup: Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Newcastle keep winning (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester United 3-1 West Ham: Rampant Red Devils ease to three points (video) 0
- Fulham 2-4 Manchester City: Visitors proving they can win on the road (video) 1
- Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City: Yet another side undone by Luis Suárez (video) 0
- WATCH: Suarez scores two stunners for Liverpool to celebrate new deal (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- U.S. soccer extends lengthy partnership with Nike, what kits do we want to see? (8)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy