Jul 24, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
You don’t have to support Liverpool Football Club to appreciate this scene in Australia this morning.
The Reds defeated A-league outfit Melbourne Victory 2-0 in their latest friendly Down Under, but it was the reception Liverpool received from their loyal band of supporters that really stole the show at the Melbourne Cricket Crowd.
A massive crowd of over 95,000 fans packed the stadium to see Steven Gerrard open the scoring, before controversial forward Luis Suárez set up new signing Iago Aspas for the second with virtually the last kick of the game.
But as we alluded to, the game itself was overshadowed by the huge number of fans and the spectacular rendition of Liverpool’s club anthem, “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”
So sit back, relax and feel the goosebumps emerge as almost 100,000 Aussies belt out the inspiration song made famous by Liverpool’s Kop end at their Anfield home.
Every fan of soccer should appreciate this kind of support and it just goes to show what a huge global brand the Merseyside club still are, despite not qualifying for the UEFA Champions League since 2009.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes