Jul 25, 2013, 6:13 PM EDT
Indonesian media entrepreneur Erick Thohir, who purchased a majority stake in DC United last season with Jason Levien, is in deep discussions about acquiring a 75% majority in Italian giants Internazionale, according to the Associated Press.
Thohir reportedly met with Inter president Massimo Moriatti today for lunch, and while Moriatti claimed the meeting was “only a chat,” many speculate it was meant to help further the expected deal.
It has been reported for a while that Thohir is interested in purchasing a stake in Inter, although the report that he’s looking for such a large majority is new – it had earlier been speculated that the sale would be for 40% of the club with more added on over time. The three-quarters stake in the Serie A club is valued around €350 million ($453 million).
After their talk, a rushed Moriatti told Gazzetta dello Sport “Did anything emerge? Absolutely not.”
Thorir also owns a stake in the Philadelphia 76ers in a consortium that includes Levien and actor Will Smith, and he is the current president of the Southeast Asia Basketball Association. He was the president of the Indonesian Basketball Association up until 2006, and owns two Indonesian basketball teams in the Satria Muda BritAma Jakarta and Indonesia Warriors.
Inter won the treble in the 2009/10 season, but have struggled since, finishing ninth in Serie A last season.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes