Jul 25, 2013, 4:01 PM EST
Could Shinji Kagawa’s stay at Old Trafford be shorter than most expected?
After Borussia Dortmund’s recent Champions League success, it appears he may be having second thoughts about having left Westfalenstadion.
Kagawa has told Japanese television “If Dortmund agree, I would like to return one day.”
The 24-year-old has been openly disappointed for a while now about his first season with Manchester United, citing a lack of scoring and playing time as areas that must improve. If they don’t, he sounds pretty certain a return to the Champions League runners-up could be a solution.
“There was too much going through my head [last season]. I haven’t been happy with my performances. I didn’t score as much as I wanted to and I was injured. Even though we were Premier League champions, I can’t feel that I achieved everything I wanted to. Personally, it wasn’t a good season for me.”
Kagawa isn’t the only one who longs for a reunion with former manager Jurgen Klopp. Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told Bild “The door is always open for Shinji. Currently though, it is not a subject of discussion.”
When healthy, the Japanese international stole minutes from Wayne Rooney last season, scoring six goals and assisting four more in 20 Premier League appearances. The previous season, his last with Dortmund, was much more prolific – he bagged 13 goals and 12 assists in 31 Bundesliga appearances.
With new manager David Moyes taking the helm at United, it will be interesting to see how he balances Rooney and Kagawa – given Rooney stays – as both are very similarly styled players.
It could be that Kagawa returns to Germany sooner than later if his Manchester United form doesn’t improve this coming season, although as for now it would seem each side would desire the other make the first move.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0