Jul 25, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
Bayern Munich’s new prize midfielder Thiago Alcantara has declared that Manchester United never showed him even a sliver of interest throughout the summer.
With United heavily involved in rumors linking them to Thiago, the player has denied any of that ever existed.
“The truth is that in no moment did United come to us and talk to us. It came from the press, it was always a lie” said Thiago.
This directly contradicts statements made by Thiago’s father and agent Mazinho to Spanish radio station La Xarxa yesterday. Mazinho said, “Thiago was close to joining Manchester United and before the European Under-21 Championship there were conversations.”
Thiago also stated his former club Barcelona didn’t even attempt to keep him at the Nou Camp. With Barcelona triggering a shockingly low release clause in his contract by not giving him enough minutes, they made no effort to retain the 21-year-old.
“It’s unfair to say I wasn’t patient. The club knew my situation. I waited for them, especially before the European Championships, but they never contacted me. I didn’t feel valued. I wanted to compete. The club knew that I wanted to leave and they didn’t do much to change that.”
Thiago felt his former boss Pep Guardiola made him feel like he had a future on the pitch at the Allianz Arena.
“Everyone looks out for their interests, I wanted to feel valued and I wanted to compete so I decided to leave the club and join Bayern. I was waiting and waiting all summer, there was a point when I had to decide. All a footballer wants is to play football and I wanted to play, they [Barcelona] didn’t do much for me to stay, so here I am.”
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0