Bale: “I want to play for Real Madrid,” as Spanish press turn up the heat

Jul 26, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-TOTTENHAM-SUNDERLAND

After Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas confirmed earlier today that talks are “ongoing” between the club and Gareth Bale about a new contract, more sensationalist reports have cropped up in Spain.

According to Spanish outlet Marca, Bale is demanding a move to Real Madrid and has hit out at Tottenham’s Chairman Daniel Levy over “false promises.”

Take this report with a pinch of salt, or a large dose of it, but Marca have repeatedly reported Bale’s potential move to Madrid is edging closer.

All week long reports from the Spanish newspaper have been escalating. Believe what you will. So here’s what they claim the 24-year-old Welshman had to say to Spurs Chairman Levy, as the club aim to keep him at White Hart Lane:

You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn’t qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you’d listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid.

How have Marca got this information? Who knows. But Bale’s agent, Jonathan Barnett, has been very friendly with the Spanish media since the end of last season, and enraged Spurs fans last month by claiming Bale “would listen to an offer from Real Madrid.”

So, maybe Bale really does want a move to Real, and can you blame him?

source: Getty Images

Is Bale demanding a move to Madrid?

(MORE: Bale agrees to Real Madrid transfer but Spurs say, not so fast)

One thing is for certain, Bale and his agent are a lot closer to the Spanish media than we all previously thought. But we’ve heard this story time and time again, the rumors, Villas-Boas stating he is not for sale and that a new contract is being negotiated.

But we haven’t heard anything from Bale, not one word. And that tells its own story. Actions speak louder than words.

Anyhow, AVB stated this morning that Bale is not participating in Tottenham’s preseason tour of the Far East due to a Gluteal muscle issue. Apparently will be sorted out in the next week and Bale will train with the squad in London.

But if you believe reports… this time next week Bale’s healed Gluteus maximus could be heading to Madrid.

1. brunotheaffablecynic - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

So Bale’s not participating in the tour because he’s butt-hurt? Quite on-the-nose, eh?

2. aarongrayswitzer - Jul 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

No way. A sensational report with no sources from Marca linking Bale to RM? I’m surprised these still warrant an entry to PST anymore.

3. twayward - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

well said, aaron.

marca is to real madrid as breitbart.com is to the RWNJs.

• jaxhotspur11 - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

marca is to real madrid as MSNBC is to the LWNJs.

4. aarongrayswitzer - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

From a Marca report last year:

Marca report that Modric met Levy for showdown talks last Wednesday in London, telling him: “You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn’t qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you’d listen to it.

“Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I’m not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid.”

The exact same “quote”, I guess Marca deemed it good luck and are trying it again?

• Joe Prince-Wright - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This is great. I guess it worked with Modric, so why not Bale?

Seriously though, my gut feeling is that Bale really wants this move. But Spurs are being very stubborn about this one.

However a $115 million offer… and it’s game over.

• mwm5062 - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I agree that he wants the move, but I don’t think he wants it this year necessarily. I think he’s happy with Spurs right now, and he’s still only 24. Next year though, I think he goes.

• mkgcle - Jul 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I agree with mwm5062. If he wanted the move THIS summer, I think Marca would have much more substantial quotes/information to cite than a rehashed story about Modric from last year -i.e. Bale would be letting people know his feelings much more directly, likely even putting in a transfer request. On the other hand, the fact that Bale and/or his camp hasn’t (to my knowledge, anyway) come out and forcefully denied the Marca stories tells me that Bale doesn’t want to burn any bridges because he could see himself ending up there eventually.

If Spurs don’t make the Champions League this year, he’s definitely gone. Even if they DO make the CL, he may still be gone. If they make the CL and potentially win the league, though, I think he would be inclined to stay and cement his place at the front of a potential dynasty for the next few years.

5. mwm5062 - Jul 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM

If you look at the quote and compare it to what Modric said last year, they essentially just reworded that.

6. kurgen99 - Jul 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The Spurs didn’t make the Champions League BECAUSE of selfish play from Bale.
    Not enough easy goals, too many improbable ones.

7. mvktr2 - Jul 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM

While it is unique sometimes exciting and generally interesting one of the turnoffs of ‘big-time’ soccer is the constant haggling between top clubs and top players whom are under contract. Some players play 12 years and move 7 and 8 times, top players. What is Ibramovic on pace for at this point and does anyone think he’ll be playing more than 2 seasons at PSG? It’s a bit unnerving but mostly it’s annoying. Just my opinion…

8. bellerophon30 - Jul 27, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I guess he shouldn’t have signed such a long contract. I hate landing on Dan Levy’s side on things like this, but I don’t blame him for digging his heels in.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?