Jul 26, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
Gerardo Martino has spoken loud and clear on the Cesc Fabregas to Manchester United rumors.
This morning “Tata” was asked about Fabregas’ availability after United apparently tabled yet another bid for the Spanish midfielder. Barca’s new manager has been in the job since Monday and this was his first strong statement.
“I’m not going to involve myself in the club’s accounts, but considering the club has already rejected two offers, I would guess it will reject a third,” Martino said. “In other words, Fabregas will remain here.”
There you have it folks, United have once again been led on a wild goose chase, as their summer of transfer inactivity continues.
And if Tata’s comments weren’t enough, Barcelona’s vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu was pretty emphatic about Fabregas staying at the Camp Nou.
“It doesn’t matter what any offer from Manchester United is – we’re not selling him. We’re counting on him. He’s not for sale,” Bartomeu said. “If there was a higher offer would we accept it? No. He’s a great player. It doesn’t bother us that Manchester United want him.”
With that settled, we think, where do United and David Moyes turn now?
That is the big question. Considering their No.1 target won’t be prized away from Barcelona at any price, Moyes now has to turn his attention elsewhere. But where?
Could he nip back to his former club Everton and sign Marouane Fellaini? What about Yohan Cabaye from Newcastle? Or maybe even a big money move for Cristiano Ronaldo or Gareth Bale?
The last two aren’t going to happen. If those two superstars were on their way to United, it would’ve happened by now.
But deals for Fellaini and Cabaye are more likely, however they’re certainly a downgrade on Fabregas. No disrespect to those two players, because they’re full internationals and have shone in the PL in recent seasons. (Fellaini more than Cabaye) But do they really possess the quality to turn a Champions League game on its head?
I think not. Moyes has aimed high in the transfer market and struck out. Sir Alex Ferguson has done the same in the past, two examples in my mind are Alan Shearer and Paul Gascoigne who turned down United and opted to go elsewhere.
Just because they’re Manchester United doesn’t mean they can handpick whoever they want. With Ferguson gone, other Premier League teams are becoming more attractive propositions. Chelsea and Manchester City are closing the gap on United’s alluring dominance as we speak.
Moyes will have a plan B after the Fabregas chase has left him at a dead end. But he must reassess his options and navigate his way through the treacherous and, so far, disappointing transfer market.
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 2
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0