Jul 26, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT
Demba Ba, despite whispers he could be excess to Jose Mourinho’s plans, has stated he will fight for a spot at Stamford Bridge no matter who is on the squad come the new season.
“I will stay,” Ba said. “I think we need competition and we welcome the best players in this club. More competition is going to make me better anyway.”
This will be welcome news for Chelsea fans from a player who at times looked electric. He only managed two Premier League goals in 14 appearances, but bagged four scores in six FA Cup appearances and fueled their run to the semifinals of the competition.
The 28-year-old Senegalese striker admitted that “all players want to play” but said he and the others remained focused on the ultimate goal. “We will all work in the same direction, for the club, to try and win the games.”
Ba grabbed a brace in Chelsea’s friendly against Indonesia All-Stars in Jakarta as the club tours through Asia this preseason. He is excited to work with Mourinho despite the fact the manager has gone with Romelu Lukaku in each of the starting lineups so far.
“It’s always good to score but, at this stage, it’s more about the work and running a lot on the pitch to get you condition back” said Ba following the match. “It’s been a good week’s work with the new manager. We will see in the next few weeks. It will be exciting.”
The Blues are rumored to be heavily pursuing Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney, even making an official bid, although Mourinho has publicly said he’s content with the squad as-is.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro