Jul 26, 2013, 5:49 PM EDT
Demba Ba, despite whispers he could be excess to Jose Mourinho’s plans, has stated he will fight for a spot at Stamford Bridge no matter who is on the squad come the new season.
“I will stay,” Ba said. “I think we need competition and we welcome the best players in this club. More competition is going to make me better anyway.”
This will be welcome news for Chelsea fans from a player who at times looked electric. He only managed two Premier League goals in 14 appearances, but bagged four scores in six FA Cup appearances and fueled their run to the semifinals of the competition.
The 28-year-old Senegalese striker admitted that “all players want to play” but said he and the others remained focused on the ultimate goal. “We will all work in the same direction, for the club, to try and win the games.”
Ba grabbed a brace in Chelsea’s friendly against Indonesia All-Stars in Jakarta as the club tours through Asia this preseason. He is excited to work with Mourinho despite the fact the manager has gone with Romelu Lukaku in each of the starting lineups so far.
“It’s always good to score but, at this stage, it’s more about the work and running a lot on the pitch to get you condition back” said Ba following the match. “It’s been a good week’s work with the new manager. We will see in the next few weeks. It will be exciting.”
The Blues are rumored to be heavily pursuing Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney, even making an official bid, although Mourinho has publicly said he’s content with the squad as-is.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0