Jul 27, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
When Bayern Munich won its fifth European title which became part of a historic German treble, one fan had some paying up to do.
Just a few seasons ago, when the same Bavarian club fell to Jose Mourinho’s Inter in the 2010 Champions League final, Vahid Cehaja of Bosnia vowed he would walk to Allianz Arena the next time Bayern won.
He fell just short when the Bavarians lost to Chelsea last season on penalties, but this year his favorite club came through, and his feet paid the price.
Cehaja walked over 600 miles from his home in Bosnia through five countries to Bayern Munich’s home at Allianz Arena. The five countries he walked through (Bosnia, Coratia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany) were a planned route to represent the five European titles Bayern has won in its history.
“In honor of the fifth Bayern title I walked from Bugojno to Munich” said the superfan. “I wanted to show respect to all those [players] who have so far won titles with Bayern Munich.”
Cehaja left the Bosnian town of Bugojno on June 10th, his birthday. The walk took Cehaja 42 days and wore through three pairs of shoes. He wore a Bayern shirt the whole way.
The trip paid off for the 45-year-old, as he got to meet Munich president Uli Hoeness, arrived in time to see Bayern defeat Barcelona in a friendly, and lost 23 pounds in the process.
He even posted pictures of his trip, including the damage to his body – mangled feet. Take a look if you’d like, but it’s definitely not pretty.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 6
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)