Jul 27, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
When Bayern Munich won its fifth European title which became part of a historic German treble, one fan had some paying up to do.
Just a few seasons ago, when the same Bavarian club fell to Jose Mourinho’s Inter in the 2010 Champions League final, Vahid Cehaja of Bosnia vowed he would walk to Allianz Arena the next time Bayern won.
He fell just short when the Bavarians lost to Chelsea last season on penalties, but this year his favorite club came through, and his feet paid the price.
Cehaja walked over 600 miles from his home in Bosnia through five countries to Bayern Munich’s home at Allianz Arena. The five countries he walked through (Bosnia, Coratia, Slovenia, Austria, Germany) were a planned route to represent the five European titles Bayern has won in its history.
“In honor of the fifth Bayern title I walked from Bugojno to Munich” said the superfan. “I wanted to show respect to all those [players] who have so far won titles with Bayern Munich.”
Cehaja left the Bosnian town of Bugojno on June 10th, his birthday. The walk took Cehaja 42 days and wore through three pairs of shoes. He wore a Bayern shirt the whole way.
The trip paid off for the 45-year-old, as he got to meet Munich president Uli Hoeness, arrived in time to see Bayern defeat Barcelona in a friendly, and lost 23 pounds in the process.
He even posted pictures of his trip, including the damage to his body – mangled feet. Take a look if you’d like, but it’s definitely not pretty.
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 35 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: Howard looks for bounceback vs Manchester United 0
- Report: 10-year-old daughter of former FIFA official received over $3 million 1
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Sunderland 0
- Homegrown star Shipp hoping to guide Chicago to first win of 2014 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 35 0