Jul 27, 2013, 8:20 AM EST
We recently declared this the Summer of Landon Donovan. Since then, the sun has shined even more brightly across this great Landon of ours, as the man was named to replace Robbie Keane in Wednesday’s MLS All-Star game in Kansas City.
On Sunday, the United States Donovans will take on Panama for the Gold Cup crown in Chicago.
Donovan has owned this tournament, carrying the United States offense like perhaps no individual ever has. Remember what we told you two three nights back, that Donovan has contributed directly to all nine U.S. goals over the last three matches, a truly remarkable achievement.
Donovan has five goals and seven assists in the tournament. His 18 career goals represent the all-time Gold Cup record. (He has also appeared in a record six Gold Cups.)
So it’s a swell time to walk back a little and re-check the man’s numerical largesse. Remember how we told you recently that he has run away from the field in his all-time leadership for goals and assist in the U.S. national team shirt? Well, he keeps putting more distance on everyone.
Again, Clint Dempsey is the one individual who might, just might, possibly still be in position to match Donovan’s individual, all-time scoring. Then again, the Spurs man is just a year younger than his U.S. teammate … so that’s not going to happen.
Here are the numbers. Prepare to be impressed once again:
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents