Jul 27, 2013, 10:10 AM EST
- The Galaxy is 5-0-1 recently in the series
- The champs are short-handed, however, probably with Robbie Keane and definitely without Landon Donovan, Omar Gonzalez and Robbie Rogers
- The Rapids have two, perhaps three Rookie of the Year contenders
The fans around DSG Park may be disappointed by the visitors lack of star power in tonight’s Week 22 matchup in MLS. And this is hardly “best case scenario” stuff for the national television audience.
But what an opportunity for Oscar Pareja’s Colorado Rapids, who will get a depleted version of the two-time league champs when the clubs meet outside Denver tonight.
ESPN cameras will be there for 7 p.m. ET kickoff (the official match preview is here). But Landon Donovan won’t be; the Galaxy attacker has one more match in his onging and highly successful “Month of international redemption” tour with the United States, so he will miss yet another Galaxy contest.
Nor does it appear the MLS title holders will have Robbie Keane, who remains injured and has even been replaced for next week’s All-Star game in Kansas City against Italy’s Roma. Galaxy manager Bruce Arena has been typically coy about Keane’s availability; it is not out of the question that Keane would play in Colorado, but doesn’t want to risk further injury (not to mention the wear and tear of travel) by playing in what is a essentially just a high profile friendly.
Either way, the Galaxy will surely be without Robbie Rogers, who seems set to get back into full training next week. And, as we know, Omar Gonzalez is with Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team, in Chicago for Sunday’s Gold Cup final.
Meanwhile, the Galaxy remains on the hunt for a third Designated Player. So the team known for stars will have be missing a bunch of them Saturday.
So this is a great chance for the Rapids to overturn the Galaxy’s recent dominance in the series. Arena’s team has won five of the last six meetings; the other match was a draw. Colorado is unbeaten in five consecutive MLS matches. That includes a productive double hit in Week 21, a win at home over New England and a worthy 1-1 draw at Seattle.
The Rapids have two legitimate Rookie of the Year contenders in versatile midfielder Dillon Powers and speedy striker Deshorn Brown (pictured), who leads the club in goals (5) and assists (4). Some might even suggest that rookie goalkeeper Clint Irwin should get some consideration for the award, as he has filled in admirably for injured starter Matt Pickens.
There is one additional subplot to this one: Pablo Mastroeni, the very face of Colorado’s team for a decade, is in for an emotional return to DSG Park.
The former U.S. international was traded five weeks ago to the Galaxy. He has made five appearances for Arena, including a start in last week’s 2-1 win at home over Vancouver.
The Galaxy has been fairly awful away from the StubHub Center recently, with a 0-6 when you include a U.S. Open Cup setback. Arena’s team has been outscored 16-4 in that time.
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 0
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)