Jul 27, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
Finally, Edin Dzeko gets some credit.
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has publicly put his stamp of approval on one of the most under-appreciated scorers in the Premier League.
With City having sold Carlos Tevez to Juventus, the position alongside Sergio Aguero now solely belongs to Dzeko, and the manager wouldn’t have it any other way.
“Everyone was talking before I arrived that we will bring in Cavani, Lewandowski, all those players” Pellegrini said. “But I always trusted in Edin Dzeko and he is now playing the way I want. I am sure he will continue improving.”
Dzeko scored the lone goal in Friday’s victory over Sunderland to earn City the Barclays Asia Trophy preseason honors.
It was a heck of a goal, too – a half-volley from outside the box that blasted off the post and in.
The 27-year-old Bosnian made 32 appearances last season, but just half of those were starts, as he confusingly never received the full trust of Roberto Mancini.
Pellegrini says after a blistering preseason, that will change this year. “Not only in Hong Kong, I have a lot of trust in him going forward. He is a player I knew very well and I was sure he would be a very successful player.”
Nicknamed Bosanski dijamant – “The Bosnian diamond” - Dzeko has averaged a fantastic 119 minutes per goal over the past two seasons at Etihad Stadium. But he’s always wanted to be more than a super-sub.
City did buy Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina, but the 23-year-old plays more as a secondary striker, and can even play on the wings, so he will be much less of a threat to Dzeko’s minutes than Tevez was.
Dzeko now finds himself in a position of much more responsibility this season, and therefore he’s finally receiving the praise he has so long deserved.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1