Jul 27, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
Finally, Edin Dzeko gets some credit.
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini has publicly put his stamp of approval on one of the most under-appreciated scorers in the Premier League.
With City having sold Carlos Tevez to Juventus, the position alongside Sergio Aguero now solely belongs to Dzeko, and the manager wouldn’t have it any other way.
“Everyone was talking before I arrived that we will bring in Cavani, Lewandowski, all those players” Pellegrini said. “But I always trusted in Edin Dzeko and he is now playing the way I want. I am sure he will continue improving.”
Dzeko scored the lone goal in Friday’s victory over Sunderland to earn City the Barclays Asia Trophy preseason honors.
It was a heck of a goal, too – a half-volley from outside the box that blasted off the post and in.
The 27-year-old Bosnian made 32 appearances last season, but just half of those were starts, as he confusingly never received the full trust of Roberto Mancini.
Pellegrini says after a blistering preseason, that will change this year. “Not only in Hong Kong, I have a lot of trust in him going forward. He is a player I knew very well and I was sure he would be a very successful player.”
Nicknamed Bosanski dijamant – “The Bosnian diamond” – Dzeko has averaged a fantastic 119 minutes per goal over the past two seasons at Etihad Stadium. But he’s always wanted to be more than a super-sub.
City did buy Stevan Jovetic from Fiorentina, but the 23-year-old plays more as a secondary striker, and can even play on the wings, so he will be much less of a threat to Dzeko’s minutes than Tevez was.
Dzeko now finds himself in a position of much more responsibility this season, and therefore he’s finally receiving the praise he has so long deserved.
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton 0
- Chelsea and Tottenham to battle for Wembley Stadium as temporary home 0