Jul 27, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
A top-of-the-table matchup saw the new York Red Bulls charge back to win 4-3 and draw within one point of Sporting KC for the top spot in the Eastern Conference.
West leaders Salt Lake came back from a goal down into a winning position before the New York Red Bulls stunned the visitors with two goals at the death.
Fabian Espindola grabbed a brace – both on penalties – to lead New York. All three Real scores came off the feet of Alvaro Saborio.
With the Red Bulls up 2-1 at the halftime break and the second half dragging on, Saborio went double-barrel for Sporting with two goals in quick succession in the 80th and 82nd minutes to shock Red Bull Arena.
Both goals were on the counter-attack, and the second saw a beautiful move in the box by Saborio to finish in traffic.
But New York commandeered all three points as they held nothing back and were rewarded with a penalty in the 89th minute – the third penalty of the match – and a Dax McCarty header in the fourth minute of stoppage time sealed the comeback.
Tim Cahill was the other man on the scoresheet for New York, heading in the opener (shocker) in the 10th minute.
With New York grabbing the three points in what can be certainly labeled as a signature win, they sit just a point back of first place in the East, level with Montreal but ahead on goal difference.
Those standings don’t exactly mean much until all the teams have played about the same number of matches, but to be so close will no doubt give them confidence. Montreal do have two games in hand on the other three teams surrounding them, having played 20 matches as New York, Sporting KC, and Philadelphia have all played 22.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0