Jul 27, 2013, 2:33 PM EST
I think we all know this Steve Nash “tryout” with Inter Milan is a publicity driven put-on. If not, then we need to talk.
Because, seriously, if the Italian Serie A club is really looking for 39-year-olds who have never played professional soccer (especially guys who are coming off injury and admit they are less than 100 percent in terms of physical readiness), then we might need to reassess where the club really is ahead of the 2013-14 campaign.
This is just part of the media effort ahead of the Guinness International Champions Cup tournament coming up this week. If you haven’t heard, it features eight name brand clubs: Inter Milan, AC Milan, Chelsea, Everton, Juventus, Real Madrid, Valencia and the LA Galaxy.
Nash, of course, is a not-so-secret soccer player wanna-be. And besides being co-owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps, the man has professional soccer in his blood.
He also knows people in the game. Nash just doubled the reach of his annual charity game, adding a West Coast event to the usual New York goings-on.
In the event that benefits his Steve Nash Foundation and include NBA types (Klay Thompson, Jeremy Lin and Jared Dudley among others), Nash hit a couple while LA Galaxy goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini supplied the big stops.
Highlights of the fun event are here:
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014
- Looking at El Tri’s World Cup Opponents