Jul 27, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT
I think we all know this Steve Nash “tryout” with Inter Milan is a publicity driven put-on. If not, then we need to talk.
Because, seriously, if the Italian Serie A club is really looking for 39-year-olds who have never played professional soccer (especially guys who are coming off injury and admit they are less than 100 percent in terms of physical readiness), then we might need to reassess where the club really is ahead of the 2013-14 campaign.
This is just part of the media effort ahead of the Guinness International Champions Cup tournament coming up this week. If you haven’t heard, it features eight name brand clubs: Inter Milan, AC Milan, Chelsea, Everton, Juventus, Real Madrid, Valencia and the LA Galaxy.
Nash, of course, is a not-so-secret soccer player wanna-be. And besides being co-owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps, the man has professional soccer in his blood.
He also knows people in the game. Nash just doubled the reach of his annual charity game, adding a West Coast event to the usual New York goings-on.
In the event that benefits his Steve Nash Foundation and include NBA types (Klay Thompson, Jeremy Lin and Jared Dudley among others), Nash hit a couple while LA Galaxy goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini supplied the big stops.
Highlights of the fun event are here:
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs