Jul 28, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Liverpool completed their pre-season tour with a comfortable 3-0 win over Thailand, thanks to impressive displays from Philippe Coutinho and Iago Aspas.
Liverpool dominated the Thai side with goals from Coutinho, Aspas and Steven Gerrard. Coutinho put on a man-of-the-match performance producing oohs and aahs from the crowd with his velcro-like control, sleek passes and clever flicks that saw him sweep past defenders with ease.
In the first 15 minutes, Coutinho produced two fine chances, putting new-boy Aspas through only for the Spaniard’s effort to deflect over the bar and hitting his own volley just wide of the target.
But in the 16th minute Countinho got it right, picking up the ball 30 yards out and slicing through three defenders before his shot plucked the bottom corner.
After the Thai side forced goalkeeper Simon Mignolet into a few fine saves to end the first half, Liverpool dominated the second stanza. Coutinho doubled the Reds’ lead when he found Aspas with a wonderful pass and the Spaniard’s soft touch set up an easy opportunity that he cooly slotted home.
It was Aspas’ third goal in four friendlies since his move from Celta Vigo and the Spaniard wasn’t done leaving his mark on the match as he turned provider and set up Steven Gerrard for a stunning lob over the keeper’s head to make it 3-0.
With the match well in hand, Luis Suarez entered the fold with 30 minutes remaining, putting in a decent shift that failed to bear fruit. The Uruguayan international looked likely to make when he got on the end of Gerrard’s delivery but Suarez put the free header from six yards off the underside of the bar. Despite failing to score and playing amidst rumors of wanting out of Anfield, Suarez was nevertheless given a huge ovation by the 45,000-strong crowd.
Liverpool return home to England where they’ll have a week of preparation before the Steven Gerrard testimonial match against Olympiacos at Anfield on Saturday, August 3rd.
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record