Jul 28, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Liverpool completed their pre-season tour with a comfortable 3-0 win over Thailand, thanks to impressive displays from Philippe Coutinho and Iago Aspas.
Liverpool dominated the Thai side with goals from Coutinho, Aspas and Steven Gerrard. Coutinho put on a man-of-the-match performance producing oohs and aahs from the crowd with his velcro-like control, sleek passes and clever flicks that saw him sweep past defenders with ease.
In the first 15 minutes, Coutinho produced two fine chances, putting new-boy Aspas through only for the Spaniard’s effort to deflect over the bar and hitting his own volley just wide of the target.
But in the 16th minute Countinho got it right, picking up the ball 30 yards out and slicing through three defenders before his shot plucked the bottom corner.
After the Thai side forced goalkeeper Simon Mignolet into a few fine saves to end the first half, Liverpool dominated the second stanza. Coutinho doubled the Reds’ lead when he found Aspas with a wonderful pass and the Spaniard’s soft touch set up an easy opportunity that he cooly slotted home.
It was Aspas’ third goal in four friendlies since his move from Celta Vigo and the Spaniard wasn’t done leaving his mark on the match as he turned provider and set up Steven Gerrard for a stunning lob over the keeper’s head to make it 3-0.
With the match well in hand, Luis Suarez entered the fold with 30 minutes remaining, putting in a decent shift that failed to bear fruit. The Uruguayan international looked likely to make when he got on the end of Gerrard’s delivery but Suarez put the free header from six yards off the underside of the bar. Despite failing to score and playing amidst rumors of wanting out of Anfield, Suarez was nevertheless given a huge ovation by the 45,000-strong crowd.
Liverpool return home to England where they’ll have a week of preparation before the Steven Gerrard testimonial match against Olympiacos at Anfield on Saturday, August 3rd.
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4