Jul 29, 2013, 6:10 PM EST
KANSAS CITY – On the inside, an All-Star game isn’t really about the 90 minutes of high profile shots and saves. It is … but it isn’t.
Equally, it’s about everyone who is anyone in and around MLS – don’t just think New York-based MLS suits, think owners, sponsors, agents, GMs, familiar broadcast types, etc. – getting together for hobbing and nobbing and a few very official meetings. Decisions will start to be made at high levels, even if they aren’t officially voted in and announced until the same bunch of movers, shakers and legit playa’s get together four months hence at a championship site to be determined.
Here are the primary topics of conversation I expect will be coming up over the next few days (potentially rainy days, if today is any indication). If they aren’t conversations already, they should be.
TV negotiations: Don’t forget, MLS deals with NBC, ESPN and Telemundo all expire in 2014. The new Fox Sports 1 network in August. So with ESPN , Fox, NBC Sports and potentially beIN Sports all looking to fill programming, the momentum is sure to start building now on this one now. (Forbes wrote about some of this recently, attached to how the new franchise in NYC will play into it.)
The Chivas USA situation: Better said, perhaps, “The Chivas USA mess.” During a Twitter Q&A today, MLS commissioner Don Garber indicated he would address the ongoing fiasco (my words, not his) at halftime of Wednesday’s match at Sporting Park. Can. Not. Wait.
Expansion: Always expansion … the “whens,” “wheres” and “how manys.” You know the last time an MLS board meeting when expansion didn’t go around the big, fancy table at some point? Right! It’s a trick question. I believe it has never happened. (The words “Miami” and “Beckham” are sure to come up a lot is said discussions.)
- Report: Marco Reus is out for 2014 with torn ankle ligament 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0