Jul 30, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
KANSAS CITY – Expansion will be high on the MLS board of directors agenda when they meet here tomorrow morning, ahead of Wednesday’s contest against AS Roma.
People in position to know around here seem to think owners will emerge with some clarity on the important expansion questions of “how many” and the “how fast.” Either way, MLS commissioner Don Garber will have something to say about it Wednesday evening from Sporting Park.
Orlando’s highly aggressive ownership group is here in Kansas City; in this case, “aggressive” is a very good thing as the group continues to lobby hard, pushing to be No. 21 in MLS.
The group isn’t just aggressive, either. Now backed by Brazilian education entrepreneur Flávio Augusto da Silva, the club has the kind of money to be a real player here – something that probably wasn’t true just a few months ago.
David Beckham, still linked heavily to Miami expansion efforts, is not in Kansas City from what I understand – for whatever that means to you. I am told that Orlando and Miami is not necessarily an “either / or” situation; A lot of options will apparently move around the table during the board of directors meeting.
Meanwhile, rains that cancelled Monday’s practices continued this morning, but forecasts called for clearing skies through the day. Officials, though protective of the Sporting Park field, were optimistic enough to keep the mornings workouts for Roma and the MLS All-Stars scheduled.
The United States national team contingent (Landon Donovan, Matt Besler, etc.) arrived into Kansas City on Monday afternoon, so the entire MLS All-Star bunch should be present for Tuesday’s light workout with coach Peter Vermes.
- MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-1 Seattle Sounders 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Watch Live: New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders (Lineups) 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0