Jul 31, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
I do pity the young ones who don’t get this reference, as more than a few people have commented on the terrible skills some of MLS’s All-Stars show on the microphone. But that’s the glorious, ludicrous point to this homage, one a slew of MLS’s best pulled off in consort with Funny or Die.
Nobody’s ever going to link Kyle Beckerman with hip hop stardom. Brad Davis, Omar Gonzalez, and Mike Magee? Thankfully, they’re doing just fine at their day jobs. Jack McInerney, Chris Wondolowski and Graham Zusi? They’re not even playing at this rap game. These guys were not meant to hold mic.
But given the tradition of these types of videos, Funny or Die’s effort is superb, the retro graphics and the ridiculously self-laudatory lyrics completing the homage.
And if you don’t get it, take a look, below. At least the MLS guys are in on the joke instead of being the brunt on one (though they did do it for charity):
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 0
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 0
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3