Jul 31, 2013, 7:56 PM EST
I do pity the young ones who don’t get this reference, as more than a few people have commented on the terrible skills some of MLS’s All-Stars show on the microphone. But that’s the glorious, ludicrous point to this homage, one a slew of MLS’s best pulled off in consort with Funny or Die.
Nobody’s ever going to link Kyle Beckerman with hip hop stardom. Brad Davis, Omar Gonzalez, and Mike Magee? Thankfully, they’re doing just fine at their day jobs. Jack McInerney, Chris Wondolowski and Graham Zusi? They’re not even playing at this rap game. These guys were not meant to hold mic.
But given the tradition of these types of videos, Funny or Die’s effort is superb, the retro graphics and the ridiculously self-laudatory lyrics completing the homage.
And if you don’t get it, take a look, below. At least the MLS guys are in on the joke instead of being the brunt on one (though they did do it for charity):
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 9
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs