Jul 31, 2013, 7:56 PM EDT
I do pity the young ones who don’t get this reference, as more than a few people have commented on the terrible skills some of MLS’s All-Stars show on the microphone. But that’s the glorious, ludicrous point to this homage, one a slew of MLS’s best pulled off in consort with Funny or Die.
Nobody’s ever going to link Kyle Beckerman with hip hop stardom. Brad Davis, Omar Gonzalez, and Mike Magee? Thankfully, they’re doing just fine at their day jobs. Jack McInerney, Chris Wondolowski and Graham Zusi? They’re not even playing at this rap game. These guys were not meant to hold mic.
But given the tradition of these types of videos, Funny or Die’s effort is superb, the retro graphics and the ridiculously self-laudatory lyrics completing the homage.
And if you don’t get it, take a look, below. At least the MLS guys are in on the joke instead of being the brunt on one (though they did do it for charity):
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0