Jul 31, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
Not a day goes by without rumors regarding Chelsea Football Club and top European strikers. But this one could be leaving Stamford Bridge, not arriving. Spanish international Fernando Torres has been lined up by Valencia, according to reports in Spain. Torres is apparently not in José Mourinho’s plans at Chelsea and the London club are open to letting him leave with a deal for Wayne Rooney lined up. But do we really believe this? Torres, 29, has stated time and time again that he’s happy at Chelsea and wants to see out the remaining years of his contract. Towards the end of last season it seemed as though he had turned a corner and started to score regularly again. But if Roberto Soldado leaves Valencia, they could use that cash to attract Torres back to his homeland.
Joey Barton could be on his way to his beloved Everton, as the controversial Queens Park Rangers midfielder will slash his wage demands in half if it means lining up for the Toffees. Barton, 30, spent last season on loan at Marseille but has now returned to parent club QPR following their relegation from the Premier League. But Barton wants a move back to the top flight, and it seems as though his hometown side Everton will offer him that chance. Is this a stupid or shrewd move by new Everton boss Roberto Martinez? Barton has the ability as a player, but we all know about his temper and bad decisions off the pitch. Can he turn his career around in his spiritual home at Goodison Park? Barton left this cryptic note on Twitter about the speculation.
Spurs have edged ahead of Chelsea, Manchester City and Roma to sign highly-rated Steaua Bucharest defender Vlad Chiriches. The Romanian international, 23, will help bolster Tottenham’s defense for the start of the season after Jan Vertonghen went down injured during their opening preseason friendly in Hong Kong. A deal for Chiriches could be around $10 million, with Andre Villas-Boas desperate to add some numbers to his squad as Spurs once again aim to challenge for the Premier League’s top four.
Liverpool are close to a deal for Greek international defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos, as German club Schalke are set to lose the 21-year-old. Papadopoulos has been on Liverpool’s radar for quite some time, and now the Reds looks set to act quickly to wrap up the deal. Reports suggest a $20 million transfer fee has already been agreed and the move could be completed in the next few days. Liverpool certainly need to strengthen at the back, as Jamie Carragher retired and Martin Skrtel has apparently been offered to Napoli. Papadopoulos is a beast and loves to get on the ball at the back. A perfect fit for Brendan Rodgers’ side.
While Chelsea could take advantage of Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale chase, by nipping in to sign German international Sami Khedira for $30 million. Khedira, 26, worked with Mourinho at Real and the powerful holding midfielder would fit perfectly into his plans. John Obi Mikel may be on the sidelines this season as Mourinho has been searching for a new man in the ‘Makelele’ role since he returned to West London. I think Khedira’s style of play is suited to the Premier League over Spain, so this would be a sound investment from the ‘Special One.’
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs