Aug 1, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
ESPN 700′s Bill Riley confirmed today via teammate Nat Borchers that Yordany Alvarez’s tackle on Tim Cahill will grant him the right to sit in the stands for the next three matches.
The 28-year-old midfielder only received a yellow card for the dismantling of Cahill’s knee, but the MLS Disciplinary Committee determined that it was a challenge deserving of a red card, issuing a three-match suspension, which is typical for most straight reds.
Cahill called the challenge the “worst tackle of my life” and will see him sit 2-4 weeks with a torn PCL in his right knee. The injury does not require surgery.
New York Red Bulls coach Mike Petke called the tackle “a very reckless and careless challenge.” He did defend Alvarez’s intentions, but condemned the action. “I don’t think it was intentional” said Petke. “I don’t think Salt Lake plays like that, but I think it was just a very careless challenge to the knee and it’s going to be a very big loss for us.”
You can watch the tackle here and determine if the punishment fits the crime. Studs up below the knee, missed the ball, seems to be a legitimate red card shout to me. Wasn’t given, but the disciplinary committee rights the wrong.
Alvarez has made 13 appearances this season for RSL, 7 of which were starts. He’s scored 1 goal and logged 671 minutes.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear