Aug 1, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
About 15 minutes from the end of Chornomorets Odesa’s 3-1 win over visiting Red Star Belgrade in the UEFA Europa League third qualifying round, violence broke out in the away section of Chornomorets Stadium in Ukraine.
The home team’s director of football, Sergei Kernitsky, told UA-Football that one of the fans is in serious condition, and the club is under the impression that Red Star fans were planning to invade the pitch (translated from Russian by Google Translate):
The first part of the match was, in general, in a normal environment. But in the second half, the situation began to deteriorate, and then the situation is completely out of control. We have received information that the 15 minutes before the end of the Serbian fans are going to disrupt the match in droves to run out on the football field. We promptly informed the forces of law and order, it was timely. But, unfortunately, accidents still occur. One of our fan severely beaten, he has multiple rib fractures and a lacerated spleen. Now it will be a surgery.
The goal may have been to have the match abandoned when it became clear that Red Star was going to lose.
Acc to Chornomorets CEO, around 20 home fans injured after Crvena Zvezda fans’ attack.Also,away fans tried to force the game to be abandoned
— Oleksandr Sereda (@sereda_alex) August 1, 2013
Here is YouTube video of the incident as it occurred:
Authorities were able to contain the trouble so that the match could finish. The ball is now in UEFA’s court to decide if any punishments should be handed down before the return leg in Serbia in a week’s time.
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 0
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 1
- Report: Marco Reus is out for rest of 2014 with torn ankle ligament 3
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1