Jason Sudeikis as Coach Lasso: Premier League merriment

Aug 2, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT

In anticipation of the upcoming Premier League season, NBC Sports linked up with comedian Jason Sudeikis to have a little fun. Meet Coach Ted Lasso, an American football coach who has just been named the new manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

An American Coach in London:

His introductory press conference:

Coach Lasso on the practice field:

And Coach Lasso learning on the job:

We hope you enjoy the videos. Remember to tune in to NBC and NBCSN for exclusive coverage of the Premier League beginning on August 17th and to stop by Pro Soccer Talk for all the best coverage on the beautiful game.

1. johnfjoyce - Aug 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

So you’re trying to get people to watch soccer….by making fun of soccer?

• geminitactic - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It’s more making fun of people who make fun of soccer.

• bsh3p - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM

agreed

• jessedinner - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Exactly…

• johnfjoyce - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

So in this commercial we’ve already established the fact people make fun of soccer. We’ve pinpointed what everyone’s always took jabs at about the game….now what? There is no other part. Its not “look how dumb Jason Sudeikis looks making fun of soccer because in reality its really like __________”. Theres none of that. Its only “theres a low score, Americans don’t understand it, they dont tackle, theres no playoffs, theres not always a winner and a loser” etc.

• kuhjon - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

The angle is just about catching the attention of people that are already soccer fans.

• patriotsdefense - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Can we all agree that it’s a lighthearted comedic commercial? I am happy with NBC’s approach. They want to make people whom are already fans laugh, while simultaneously introducing unfamiliar fans to the concepts of EPL football.

Anyway, there are ‘playoffs’, they just start not at the end. FA Cup, Capital One aka Champions Cup, if your team is the Spurs, stuck in the Euro League, and finally the best of the best the Champions Cup.

I’m sure there are more commercials too come and I look forward to them.

• jessedinner - Aug 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I think NFL fans would enjoy this as well because they could relate, that is what jokes are about.

• patriotsdefense - Aug 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

slight edit: Champions League Cup! League!

• geminitactic - Aug 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

John Joyce you need to stop taking this ad so personally. lol

2. Mike Prindiville - Aug 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Fellas, I hear your concerns. To me, the video is talking to two different types of people.

First, to people who aren’t fans it says – come check out the Premier League. Sh!ts gonna be entertaining.

Second, to the Premier League ‘old guard’ – keep it loose. There’s some pretty hilarious ignorance in American soccer history, why not make fun of it?

3. footballer4ever - Aug 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I found it hilarious and quite clever way for NBC to loosen up everyone, football and non football fans alike, to announce Football is coming to America. I am sure the anti-“soccer”/anti-british/anti-foreign or simply haters will not find it funny. Now the main question is, Are we Ready for some Football!? :)

4. wwsiralexd - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Tot’num. Haha.

5. gusfromcali - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

As long as NBC doesn’t touch La Liga I am ok. They already ruined the Olympics for me. Almost every single decent show on their channcel gets cancelled after first season. I wouldn’t be surprised if they introduce commercials during game play or even worse, broadcast games delayed not live

6. collectorsteve - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I’m disappointed that this isn’t a regularly scheduled television show. I think it would make a great TV show.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea