Aug 2, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
It was a busy Friday at Major League Soccer headquarters, as the league’s Disciplinary Committee dropped the hammer on three separate incidents from July 27.
Philadelphia Union midfielder Keon Daniel was suspended one match for violent conduct against Jun Marques Davidson of the Vancouver Whitecaps. Davidson received a straight red card for headbutting Daniel in reaction to being kicked while on the ground.
Hendry Thomas of the Colorado Rapids will miss his team’s next two matches — one for a reckless challenge against the Los Angeles Galaxy’s Hector Jimenez and one for yellow-card accumulation. Thomas’ studs-up tackle on Jimenez earned him his sixth yellow card of the season.
The committee came down hardest on Real Salt Lake’s Yordany Alvarez for an atrocious challenge on the New York Red Bulls’ Tim Cahill that knocked him out for the MLS All-Star Game and perhaps a month beyond that, with a torn PCL in his knee. Alvarez will begin serving a three-game suspension on Saturday, as his team takes on Thomas’ Rapids in the Rocky Mountain Cup.
- Chad Barrett’s 94th minute winner gives Seattle Sounders 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 2
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City