Aug 3, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
It is a crazy year for D.C. United, which came flying into 2013 as a conference favorite but has quickly crashed, now threatening to establish league records for futility. And here is a crazy statistic emblematic of said crazy year:
It took Black and Red newcomer Luis Silva, who arrived just two weeks ago, only 141 minutes to with the club to become United’s leading scorer for all of 2013.
Let that sink in.
Going into Saturday night, he was already tied as the team leader with two goals in this year of barren offense for United. So when Silva scored in the first half Saturday against Montreal, the second year pro assumed top spot with his new club.
(Update at 10:27 ET … United went on to win 3-1; check back on PST for more on the match.)
Silva scored a wonderful goal in his debut two weeks ago during a loss to Chicago. That was easily the best yet, a very clever lob from about 25 yards. He had another nice shot from semi-long range a week later against New England.
Saturday’s goal was his third in three games. In the bigger picture, you wonder if we are seeing the proverbial changing of the guard at attacking midfielder around RFK Stadium? Silva is playing as the creator in a 4-4-1-1, behind Dwayne De Rosario, who just can’t get the hand brake released this year.
Here was Silva’s goal Saturday against Montreal, as the Impact just could not clear a ball that hung around a little too long inside the 18:
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)