Aug 3, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
Swansea City may lose captain Ashely Williams in the coming days, as Arsenal have stepped up their chase for the 28-year-old Welsh international. Williams has long been Swansea’s defensive lynchpin but a move to North London could prove too tempting. The Gunners have a whole host of injuries at the back and could seal the deal with a fee of around $13 million. The Welsh captain is quick and strong and can certainly pick out passes from the back, it is thought that the Swans won’t stand in his way if Arsenal meet their valuation. A terrific defender who would add considerable depth to Wenger’s backline, not sure if he’s worth all that money but the Gunners will probably need him.
It seems as though Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe isn’t hanging around to play backup to new striker Roberto Soldado, with the Spurs striker linked with a move away from White Hart Lane. Reports this morning suggest that Defoe could once again team up with Harry Redknapp at Queens Park Rangers. Should Defoe, 30, be dropping down to the Championship before the World Cup in Brazil? He’s still a regular squad member for Roy Hodgson’s England side and this move would raise eyebrows. But he loves playing for Redknapp and played under him at West Ham, Portsmouth and Tottenham. So, with Dempsey edging closer to MLS, Bale on his way to Madrid and now Defoe reportedly wanting a move away, will Andre Villas-Boas have any players left for the start of the season?
Gareth Barry may be making a switch to Serie A, with the Manchester City midfielder attracting the attention of Napoli. Rafael Benitez is a huge fan of Barry and tried to sign the 32-year-old while he was in charge at Liverpool. That transfer saga ended in Barry joining City instead, but Rafa is obviously still a huge fan. The England international would suit Italian soccer and vice versa. The slow build up play would link in with his vast range of passing and Barry is nowhere near as quick as he use to be, but can still stroke the ball around the pitch and control a game from midfield. With chances limited at City due to Fernandinho’s arrival, Barry could be saying arrivederci to the Etihad.
Manchester City striker Scott Sinclair could be on his way to Crystal Palace, as the winger looks to revive his career in the Premier League. Sinclair, 24, has hardly featured for City since joining them from Swansea for $10 million last summer but the former Chelsea youngster is attracting interest from plenty of teams. Palace, West Brom, Newcastle, Stoke, Southampton and Everton are all monitoring his situation as City look to loan him out for the season. The attacker, who played for Team GB at the Olympics, had a stunning debut season with Swansea in the 2011-12 PL campaign, scoring eight times and providing plenty of assists with his tricky wing play. If he plays regularly this season, expect more of the same.
Wigan Athletic’s Republic of Ireland international midfielder James McCarthy is close to sealing a move to Newcastle United. The 22-year-old midfielder could cost up to $25 million, but the Magpies will look to haggle on that price. The box-to-box man didn’t miss a game for Wigan last year and he chips in with some important goals as well as putting in a tremendous shift defensively. Everton are also interested, so will Wigan’s star midfielder leave the Championship side following their relegation?
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 9
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 7
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States 14
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three 11
- Meet the Premier League’s other U.S. international goalkeeper: Cody Cropper 5
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United v. Everton 1
- Debunking the myth of Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City as bitter rivals 2
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (16)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)