Aug 4, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
Thorgan Hazard, the brother of Chelsea’s Eden Hazard, has been asked to return the captain’s armband at loan club Zulte Waregem after being appointed to the position just 24 hours earlier.
Thorgan is also on the Chelsea books, but was sent on a season-long loan to the Belgian Pro League side for the second straight year.
The 20-year-old was made captain yesterday, much to the anger of fans who believed the appointment was made at the request of Chelsea.
According to Sky, the captaincy has been handed back to last year’s captain, 32-year-old defender Davy de Fauw, much to the delight of the fans.
Hazard made 28 appearances for Zulte last season in all competitions, including making it to the Champions League qualifying rounds.
The club issued a statement, saying, “Everyone involved with the club will help to shape the development of Thorgan Hazard. Therefore, we have decided in the interests of the club to inform Thorgan Hazard that the captain’s armband will go to Davy de Fauw.”
De Fauw also said he accepts the decision happily to help the club, and he will do his best to help the development of Hazard.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"