Aug 5, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Yes, Nick Rimando allowed two goals Saturday. And, yes, his Real Salt Lake side could manage just a draw Saturday against Rocky Mountain rival Colorado.
But make no mistake: Real Salt Lake would not have left Denver with that much without the brilliant backstopping from their veteran on a stormy Colorado night.
Rimando’s eight saves in the teams’ 2-2 draw included some absolute stunners, like the double-save midway through the second half, or his late stop of a Shane O’Neill drive from point blank range.
Even the routine stuff was tricky given the wind and rain around DSG Park, so threatening that it required a one-hour delay in the first half.
Rimando was stranded on both Rapids goals, as RSL’s defending took temporary leave on both. But it could have been worse if not for Rimando, in his first game back since doing is part in the U.S. Gold Cup championship run.
Honorable mentions go to: New York’s Jonny Steele for a goal and assist in the Red Bulls’ 3-2 win over Sporting Kansas City, and to San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski, who was responsible for both goals in the Earthquakes’ 2-0 win over Chivas USA.
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit