Aug 5, 2013, 3:40 PM EST
Yes, Nick Rimando allowed two goals Saturday. And, yes, his Real Salt Lake side could manage just a draw Saturday against Rocky Mountain rival Colorado.
But make no mistake: Real Salt Lake would not have left Denver with that much without the brilliant backstopping from their veteran on a stormy Colorado night.
Rimando’s eight saves in the teams’ 2-2 draw included some absolute stunners, like the double-save midway through the second half, or his late stop of a Shane O’Neill drive from point blank range.
Even the routine stuff was tricky given the wind and rain around DSG Park, so threatening that it required a one-hour delay in the first half.
Rimando was stranded on both Rapids goals, as RSL’s defending took temporary leave on both. But it could have been worse if not for Rimando, in his first game back since doing is part in the U.S. Gold Cup championship run.
Honorable mentions go to: New York’s Jonny Steele for a goal and assist in the Red Bulls’ 3-2 win over Sporting Kansas City, and to San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski, who was responsible for both goals in the Earthquakes’ 2-0 win over Chivas USA.
- New York City FC confirm they tried to sign Xavi, will try again in 2015 0
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 3
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8