Aug 5, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Yes, Nick Rimando allowed two goals Saturday. And, yes, his Real Salt Lake side could manage just a draw Saturday against Rocky Mountain rival Colorado.
But make no mistake: Real Salt Lake would not have left Denver with that much without the brilliant backstopping from their veteran on a stormy Colorado night.
Rimando’s eight saves in the teams’ 2-2 draw included some absolute stunners, like the double-save midway through the second half, or his late stop of a Shane O’Neill drive from point blank range.
Even the routine stuff was tricky given the wind and rain around DSG Park, so threatening that it required a one-hour delay in the first half.
Rimando was stranded on both Rapids goals, as RSL’s defending took temporary leave on both. But it could have been worse if not for Rimando, in his first game back since doing is part in the U.S. Gold Cup championship run.
Honorable mentions go to: New York’s Jonny Steele for a goal and assist in the Red Bulls’ 3-2 win over Sporting Kansas City, and to San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski, who was responsible for both goals in the Earthquakes’ 2-0 win over Chivas USA.
- WATCH: Men in Blazers show debuts on NBCSN 0
- Report: Obafemi Martins close to Seattle extension and raise 0
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 1
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 2