Aug 5, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
The smart patooties in professional soccer understand one essential rule where high-profile personnel signings are concerned:
When you make a mistake, just cop to it, fix it and move on. And by “fix it,” we mean “get rid of it.” Don’t let it sit around and rot, which tends to make the locker room smell.
Don’t let ego get in the way. Don’t keep trying to pound the round peg into the square hole just to save face, to prove to everyone that you were right and that everyone else is wrong, because you are smart or rich or whatever and cannot possibly make a mistake.
We all see it! That’s the thing about professional sports. You can keep telling us that so-and-so is getting the job done. You can keep telling yourself that so-and-so is about to turn the corner, vindicating your choice to sign the big name and validating your place as a personnel guru of withering insight.
But we all see the games, and we know better.
I give you Carlo Cudicini. Some of you argued, but I am telling you that the Italian vet has been just this side of a disaster. He simply is not getting the job done for the Galaxy.
Just because he came from Tottenham in the venerable Premier League, that does not make him Kasey Keller, Gianluigi Buffon and Gordon freakin’ Banks all rolled into one. I’m sorry; Cudicini just has not been very good with the gloves.
And today, the Galaxy are copping to it. They have signed Panamanian international Jaime Penedo, who has experience in Europe and a whopping 89 appearances for his country.
I suppose an optimist might say Cudicini now has competition. Frankly, it looks more like a case of “moving on.”
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 0
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 1