Aug 5, 2013, 6:39 PM EST
The smart patooties in professional soccer understand one essential rule where high-profile personnel signings are concerned:
When you make a mistake, just cop to it, fix it and move on. And by “fix it,” we mean “get rid of it.” Don’t let it sit around and rot, which tends to make the locker room smell.
Don’t let ego get in the way. Don’t keep trying to pound the round peg into the square hole just to save face, to prove to everyone that you were right and that everyone else is wrong, because you are smart or rich or whatever and cannot possibly make a mistake.
We all see it! That’s the thing about professional sports. You can keep telling us that so-and-so is getting the job done. You can keep telling yourself that so-and-so is about to turn the corner, vindicating your choice to sign the big name and validating your place as a personnel guru of withering insight.
But we all see the games, and we know better.
I give you Carlo Cudicini. Some of you argued, but I am telling you that the Italian vet has been just this side of a disaster. He simply is not getting the job done for the Galaxy.
Just because he came from Tottenham in the venerable Premier League, that does not make him Kasey Keller, Gianluigi Buffon and Gordon freakin’ Banks all rolled into one. I’m sorry; Cudicini just has not been very good with the gloves.
And today, the Galaxy are copping to it. They have signed Panamanian international Jaime Penedo, who has experience in Europe and a whopping 89 appearances for his country.
I suppose an optimist might say Cudicini now has competition. Frankly, it looks more like a case of “moving on.”
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"