Aug 6, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The elephant in the room for MLS is Seattle Sounders and their seemingly unreachable roof on Designated Player purchases.
Major League Soccer has a problem here, whether officials want to admit so. The grumbling among MLS players, managers and officials has mostly been contained, but privately they have joked for two years that if a DP in Seattle doesn’t work out, they just go buy another one. It’s always followed by a wink, a shoulder shrug or both.
Lately, it has broken loose, going a little more public. Last week, MLS All-Stars joked about it on camera the day before playing against AS Roma.
So, yes, it’s a problem. League officials can tell us this has been in the rules all along – but I will tell you for 100 percent sure that not every MLS chief is buying what the league is selling. They have told me so, although not willing to rock the boat on the record.
Well, the fans clearly aren’t afraid of a little boat rocking. Here is the Twitter world, having some fun at MLS expense. Sorry, MLS, you deserve it.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs