Aug 7, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Reports out of France indicate that U.S. international Alejandro Bedoya will soon be signing with Ligue 1 side FC Nantes.
The source, Ouest France, claims that Bedoya is poised to sign a three year deal with Nantes, arriving from Swedish champions Helsingborgs IF after his contract expired. Bedoya is expected to arrive at the Pays de la Loire club tomorrow to finalize the deal.
Assuming all goes smoothly, Bedoya will become the seventh American to play in Ligue 1, following David Regis (Strasbourg 1993-96, Lens 1996-97, Metz 1998-02, Troyes 2002-05), Greg Vanney (Bastia 2002-2005), Quentin Westberg (Troyes 2006-2010, Evian 2010-2012), Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes 2008-2010, Saint Etienne 2010-2011), Freddy Adu (Monaco 2008-2009) and Charlie Davies (Sochaux 2009-2012).
For Nantes, Bedoya represents a great signing. Les Canaris won promotion to Ligue 1 this past season after finishing third in the Ligue 2 table behind winners AS Monaco and second place Guingamp. Last season Nantes were led by 25 year old Serbian international striker Filip Dordevic, who scored 20 league goals in 34 appearances.
For Bedoya, signing with a newly promoted Ligue 1 side may not be the most ideal move but one that he must nevertheless capitalize on. Since the expiration of his Helsingborgs contract he has been without a club, which is a dangerous situation for any player looking to make an impact in a World Cup year. At Nantes, Bedoya should be able to earn consistent playing time, a key component in USMNT manager Jurgen Klinsmann’s selection process.
Bedoya heads to France in what is arguably the best form of his life. The attacking midfielder was instrumental in this summer’s Gold Cup, assisting on both of Landon Donovan’s goals in the semifinal 3-1 victory over Honduras and setting up the game-winner in the 1-0 victory over Panama in the final.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 8
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0