Aug 7, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
It’s part of the deal. As Major League Soccer becomes more popular, they’re going to get more mainstream attention. And nothing says mainstream attention like being the target of jokes from the late night hosts.
NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon had their crack last night, using the occasion of last week’s All-Star Game to put some of the league’s stars in focus. DeAndre Yedlin, Kyle Beckerman, Brad Davis, Mike Magee, Will Johnson, Marco Di Vaio, and Patrice Bernier were all lined up in Fallon’s crosshairs, their head shots inspiring some good-natured ribbing during the show’s monologue.
Here’s last night’s Late Night Superlatives segment:
Don’t feel too bad for the guys. They’re probably tickled to hear their names brought up on the show. Besides, when you have hair like Yedlin’s or Beckerman’s, you know what you’re in for when you leave the house. Will Johnson, however, might want to get Timbers PR to start distributing a new head shot.
And I don’t know whether to congratulate or admonish Fallon’s writers for missing (avoiding?) the obligatory Bradley Cooper, Mike Magee joke, even if Cooper did play a teacher in Silver Linings Playbook.
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 1
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 1
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 3
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3