Aug 7, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
It’s part of the deal. As Major League Soccer becomes more popular, they’re going to get more mainstream attention. And nothing says mainstream attention like being the target of jokes from the late night hosts.
NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon had their crack last night, using the occasion of last week’s All-Star Game to put some of the league’s stars in focus. DeAndre Yedlin, Kyle Beckerman, Brad Davis, Mike Magee, Will Johnson, Marco Di Vaio, and Patrice Bernier were all lined up in Fallon’s crosshairs, their head shots inspiring some good-natured ribbing during the show’s monologue.
Here’s last night’s Late Night Superlatives segment:
Don’t feel too bad for the guys. They’re probably tickled to hear their names brought up on the show. Besides, when you have hair like Yedlin’s or Beckerman’s, you know what you’re in for when you leave the house. Will Johnson, however, might want to get Timbers PR to start distributing a new head shot.
And I don’t know whether to congratulate or admonish Fallon’s writers for missing (avoiding?) the obligatory Bradley Cooper, Mike Magee joke, even if Cooper did play a teacher in Silver Linings Playbook.
- British exec says England could look towards 2030 World Cup bid 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 2-1 Toronto FC 2
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Germany back on track; Portugal beat Serbia, go top 0
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 1
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0