Aug 7, 2013, 7:36 PM EST
It’s part of the deal. As Major League Soccer becomes more popular, they’re going to get more mainstream attention. And nothing says mainstream attention like being the target of jokes from the late night hosts.
NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon had their crack last night, using the occasion of last week’s All-Star Game to put some of the league’s stars in focus. DeAndre Yedlin, Kyle Beckerman, Brad Davis, Mike Magee, Will Johnson, Marco Di Vaio, and Patrice Bernier were all lined up in Fallon’s crosshairs, their head shots inspiring some good-natured ribbing during the show’s monologue.
Here’s last night’s Late Night Superlatives segment:
Don’t feel too bad for the guys. They’re probably tickled to hear their names brought up on the show. Besides, when you have hair like Yedlin’s or Beckerman’s, you know what you’re in for when you leave the house. Will Johnson, however, might want to get Timbers PR to start distributing a new head shot.
And I don’t know whether to congratulate or admonish Fallon’s writers for missing (avoiding?) the obligatory Bradley Cooper, Mike Magee joke, even if Cooper did play a teacher in Silver Linings Playbook.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)