Aug 7, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Every now and again I hear people casually make fun of Norwich City. A match between Norwich City and Swansea?
‘What a joke!‘ they’ll laugh.
Those famed yellow and green kits?
‘Ugliest in the Premier League!‘ they’ll say.
‘Where the heck is Norwich anyway?‘ they’ll question rhetorically.
Really though, not taking Norwich seriously is a mistake that borders on ignorance.
Since gaining promotion back to the Premier League two years ago, they’ve finished 12th in the table in 2011-12 and 11th in 2012-13, leaving clubs like Aston Villa, Newcastle, Fulham and Sunderland all looking up. Factor in that Norwich (pronounced: Nor-ich) nearly won the Premier League in the inaugural 1992-93 season – they finished third after leading the league for most of the season – and this is not only a club on the rise, but one with history as well.
This year they’ve added some impressive new players in strikers Gary Hooper and Ricky von Wolfsfinkle (hot tip: pick RVW up on the cheap in Fantasy Premier League), as well as defensive midfielder Leroy Fer (pictured).
But I digress. I’m not a Norwich fan, just an admirer. When the 2013-14 Premier League season opens next Saturday, we’ll see what the Canaries are made of when they welcome Everton to Carrow Road.
The season is almost upon us. Excited? Of course you are. To get you ready for the new campaign, check out the latest Premier League previews here.
And in the meantime, check out this video NBC Sports has put together for Norwich. And don’t forget that you can watch those crazy Canaries and every other bird mascot in the Premier League live on NBC Sports Network and the NBC Sports Group.
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)