Aug 7, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Every now and again I hear people casually make fun of Norwich City. A match between Norwich City and Swansea?
‘What a joke!‘ they’ll laugh.
Those famed yellow and green kits?
‘Ugliest in the Premier League!‘ they’ll say.
‘Where the heck is Norwich anyway?‘ they’ll question rhetorically.
Really though, not taking Norwich seriously is a mistake that borders on ignorance.
Since gaining promotion back to the Premier League two years ago, they’ve finished 12th in the table in 2011-12 and 11th in 2012-13, leaving clubs like Aston Villa, Newcastle, Fulham and Sunderland all looking up. Factor in that Norwich (pronounced: Nor-ich) nearly won the Premier League in the inaugural 1992-93 season – they finished third after leading the league for most of the season – and this is not only a club on the rise, but one with history as well.
This year they’ve added some impressive new players in strikers Gary Hooper and Ricky von Wolfsfinkle (hot tip: pick RVW up on the cheap in Fantasy Premier League), as well as defensive midfielder Leroy Fer (pictured).
But I digress. I’m not a Norwich fan, just an admirer. When the 2013-14 Premier League season opens next Saturday, we’ll see what the Canaries are made of when they welcome Everton to Carrow Road.
The season is almost upon us. Excited? Of course you are. To get you ready for the new campaign, check out the latest Premier League previews here.
And in the meantime, check out this video NBC Sports has put together for Norwich. And don’t forget that you can watch those crazy Canaries and every other bird mascot in the Premier League live on NBC Sports Network and the NBC Sports Group.
- Champions League Wednesday Preview: Madrid up for grabs, Juventus looks to finish the job 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern Munich and Barcelona walk into the semis 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0