Aug 8, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
United States women’s national team star forward Alex Morgan sustained a mild medial collateral ligament (MCL) sprain in her left knee that led to her being stretchered off during Portland Thorns FC’s 2-1 loss to the Boston Breakers on Wednesday, the Thorns announced today.
She is expected to miss between two and four weeks of action, but there should be no lasting damage from the awkward landing. Immediately after leaving the game in the eighth minute, Morgan was taken to an on-site trainer’s area for examination before going to the locker room and emerging with a stabilizing knee brace on her left leg.
“It’s a relief that there is no significant damage to my knee,” Morgan said in a club release. “I will do everything in my power between now and Aug. 24 in order to be available for the playoffs and to win the championship.”
With her team’s spot in the final four assured, Morgan can afford to miss Portland’s final National Women’s Soccer League regular season game on Aug. 17, when it travels to play Seattle Reign FC.
The U.S.’s next scheduled match is a friendly against Mexico on Sept. 3 at RFK Stadium in Washington, just three days after the NWSL final will be played and nearly four weeks from last night, the date of Morgan’s injury.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers