Aug 8, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
After making headlines for his transfer to Seattle Sounders FC this week, United States captain Clint Dempsey has been left off the squad for his country’s Aug. 14 friendly at Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sports Illustrated’s Grant Wahl reported on Thursday.
Wahl also reported that Hertha Berlin center back John Anthony Brooks, a 20-year-old who is also eligible to play for Germany, reportedly turned down an offer to join the German under-21 team this week so he could play for the U.S.
As the match in Sarajevo is only a friendly, Brooks will not be cap-tied if he appears, but his decision does seem to indicate that he is leaning toward playing for the U.S. over Germany. First, he could start for Hertha against Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday in his club’s Bundesliga season opener.
Wahl wrote that Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans, Dempsey’s new teammates, would be on the roster. The full U.S. squad is expected to be announced Monday.
Another German-American dual citizen who will not be on it is Bayern Munich midfielder Julian Green. The 19-year-old accepted a call-up to the German U19 squad for a match against Hungary.
Aron Jóhannsson, who recently chose to represent the U.S. over his native Iceland, is another player in the mix. He is expected to be on the roster, as long as his paperwork for a one-time switch in national allegiance goes through in time. If not, he will likely travel to Sarajevo and train with the team but not play.
FIFA ranked Bosnia-Herzegovina at No. 13 in its latest FIFA World Ranking, released on Thursday. The U.S. is at No. 19.
Bosnia-Herzegovina released its roster for the friendly earlier this week, and Manchester City’s Edin Dzeko headlines the group.
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014