Aug 9, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
In the last 24 hours it appears Fulham will be losing two of their three left backs, and it has become a suddenly paper-thin position.
Yesterday manager Martin Jol told reporters that he was preparing to loan out 22-year-old Matthew Briggs.
Now, reports are suggesting 32-year-old former Liverpool star John Arne Riise will be making his way to German side Werder Bremen.
This leaves injury-prone Kieran Richardson – normally a left midfielder – all by himself on the left defense, a scary thought for Fulham fans who saw him struggle with back and hamstring problems all of last season.
One could assume that Martin Jol, rumored to be following Villa striker Darren Bent, would also have a replacement for the duo in mind.
Riise, a former Champions League winner at Anfield, has made 67 Premier League appearances for Fulham since returning to the Premier League from Roma. He begun his Fulham career bright, and has assisted 10 goals at Craven Cottage, but the blistering free kick that bagged 21 league goals for Liverpool over the years has all but left him, and Riise failed to record a single goal in his time at Fulham.
Riise also has recently changed his number from 3 to 6, a move that he claimed was because he wore 6 at Liverpool and it’s his lucky number. Some, though, were left to speculate that Jol was opening up the 3 for a new left back.
Speculation increased even more as Riise has heavily hinted on Twitter that he will be leaving. Riise, an avid golfer, interspersed his PGA tweets with obvious disappointment after he didn’t see the field during Fulham’s last preseason friendly with Real Betis.
Thanks to the fans that turned up., much appreciated.. For not playing? Well…—
John Arne Riise (@Johnariise3) August 05, 2013
Following the speculation today, Riise clarified that he hasn’t asked to leave Craven Cottage, but the statement “sometimes you can’t control things” left a major question mark whether he will be in white come August 17th season opener.
To FFC fans:I have not asked to leave the club.Sometimes you can't control things. BUT:as long as I am a FFC player I will give 100%, always—
John Arne Riise (@Johnariise3) August 09, 2013
Fulham fell to Werder Bremen in a preseason friendly in late July by a 1-0 score.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 1
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park