Aug 10, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
A debut for Clint Dempey’s second run in MLS was touch and go for a while this week as the U.S. international turned up ill.
But he did travel with the team and did, in fact, train Friday as the Sounders arrived into Toronto, so it seems a safe bet that his first minutes in a Seattle Sounders jersey will happen tonight at BMO Field in Toronto.
The match in on MLS Live and available locally, but otherwise not on a national TV outlet.
We still do not know where Dempsey will play for Schmid, but here is what the Sounders boss said Friday about Dempsey, just after training: “He feels stronger and looks a lot better today,” Schmid said.
So the questions now seem to be “where” and “how much?” Remember, Dempsey was just into his preseason with Tottenham when the big move went down eight days ago. He clearly cannot be match fit, having spent time in Texas (with his family) and in North Carolina (with his wife’s family) through so much of July.
Sounds like, perhaps, 20-30 minutes?
Goalkeeper Michael Gspurning, who has a forearm injury, also trained and seems more likely to feature against the Reds. It looks like a good spot for a Deuce debut; The Sounders have won four consecutively against Toronto FC, although Ryan Nelsen’s team is coming off a road win at New England, perhaps the team’s best result this year.
- MLS Cup 2013 Starting Lineups: Wingert, Saborío in; Sporting unchanged 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 2
- Premier League Roundup: Upsets galore as Manchester United, Chelsea lose (video) 0
- Jose Mourinho: “We’re in trouble” after Chelsea’s defeat to Stoke 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)